Scale truck modeling topics.
Mack AC Model Build-up
MacTrucks
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 285 posts
Auto Modeler: 47 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 30, 2010 - 03:35 PM UTC
Sorry to join this in progress, but this is a really old project that has been sitting incomplete for years. Basically box stock, I opted to update to pneumatic tires. I've also added a load of "coal". A few other details include thinning the hood screen, making more realistic tailgate hinges, and add some engine details and corrections. Not full out just some subtlety. My goal is to depict a later mode AC still serving in the late 1930's and delivering coal. I hope to add a coal shovel and some coal buckets too. Paint is Floquil CN green. Not too original, but I thought the paint looked vintage.
Side view
Engine
Hood Detail
jimb
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,539 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,405 posts
Posted: Friday, October 01, 2010 - 01:22 AM UTC
Looks really nice. I like it. I'd like to build one of these one of these days. Hopefully they'll reissue the dump or logger eventually.

Jim
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 3,289 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,620 posts
Posted: Friday, October 01, 2010 - 02:38 AM UTC
It's nice to see another AC build!
"Balloon tires" was the name way back then{hahaha}........I like it. Are you going to try and pinstripe it all up - some of them got really ornate back then.
BTW, what'd you use for the coal load?
MacTrucks
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Friday, October 01, 2010 - 02:23 PM UTC
Most of the reissues of the AC kits can be pretty easy to find for about $20-$30. The build up pretty well. I can't tell any difference between the reissue dump truck and my original logger or stakebed. I took photos of a very well restored AC during the ATHS show at Auburn, Indiana in 2005. Very nice, longer well base and very ornate. You'd swear it was time warped.

Bob, I plan to keep this one pretty simple as far as decoration. More of a plain old work truck than the ornate rolling billboards. :-) Maybe someday I'll do a little street scene with the truck loading coal into a buiilding's coal chute. Too little time, too many ideas.
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Sunday, October 03, 2010 - 12:31 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Most of the reissues of the AC kits can be pretty easy to find for about $20-$30. The build up pretty well. I can't tell any difference between the reissue dump truck and my original logger or stakebed. I took photos of a very well restored AC during the ATHS show at Auburn, Indiana in 2005. Very nice, longer well base and very ornate. You'd swear it was time warped.

Bob, I plan to keep this one pretty simple as far as decoration. More of a plain old work truck than the ornate rolling billboards. :-) Maybe someday I'll do a little street scene with the truck loading coal into a buiilding's coal chute. Too little time, too many ideas.

Simple builds do go easier! Me...I really want to do an AC fire tender and trailer!!! I went out and bought a very fine tip caligraphy pen{came with black india ink}, and also bought some white and gold ink......need to practice some pin striping techniques! I want mine very ornate.....
MacTrucks
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Monday, October 04, 2010 - 05:48 PM UTC
The calligraphy pen is a great idea. I've wanted to do an AC fire apparatus too, but they need to be ornate. I bought an HO kit to give me some ideas for a 1/24 build.

By the way, I think Revell is reissuing the tank truck version of this kit. My biggest gripe was the leaf springs were pretty much impossible to line up. I started to scratch build sets, but decided it was taking to long to finish this build. More pics tomorrow.
jimb
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,539 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,405 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 05, 2010 - 01:26 AM UTC
Revell/Monogram has already reissued the tank version. It should be on your LHS shelves.

Jim
FlPanzer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 37 posts
Auto Modeler: 3 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 21, 2010 - 09:16 AM UTC
Two of the differences are a better decal sheet and the tires don't have any name on the sides of them . Other then that, 1974 molds. Good kit to start with.
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Friday, October 22, 2010 - 01:25 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Two of the differences are a better decal sheet and the tires don't have any name on the sides of them . Other then that, 1974 molds. Good kit to start with.

Actually, not entirerly true...to a point! The old tanker kit instructions showed installation of the given headlights while the new release doesn't - you get the headlights still, but they don't show or say anything about them in the new release instructions...odd.
I wish they supplied the "texaco" decals again...
FlPanzer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 37 posts
Auto Modeler: 3 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 26, 2010 - 06:25 AM UTC
Using pictures from the web you have the option of any or all of the lights. I've built a few of them and varied the light set up to suit the vehicle. There was a " gate guardian " in Clearwater a few years ago that had pneumatic tires and sealed beam headlights. Good places to find some of the missing engine details.
 _GOTOTOP