Scale truck modeling topics.
Petebilt COE with Tanker
MacTrucks
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 285 posts
Auto Modeler: 47 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 30, 2010 - 03:47 PM UTC
Also working on Pete daycab COE with a tanker. The tanker is nearly box stock build of the AMT Freuhauf reissue. The tank halves were badly warped, but I managed to force them together and you can't tell.I replaced the tubes for the hoses with aluminum tube. Paint is Testors metalizers. I plan to use a copy of the Sunoco decals that I had in my original issue plated trailer. Don't worry, the chrome plated kit is untouched, this was the Texaco reissue. The frame is painted Model Master Acryl dark blue which gave me some fit when I removed the masking. If you look close enough you can see the touchups. Wheels are model master Blue Angels yellow. I decided to try 1mm plastic leatherette cord for the airlines on the trailer. It will get glad hands when completed with the tractor.

The tractor has the same paints. I converted the sleeper 352 cab to a daycab and opened the driver's side door. I'm also using Perry's Resin two-hole Budds for the wheels. Otherwise box stock.

Cab Mockup

Tractor and trailer mock-up.
jimb
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,539 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,405 posts
Posted: Friday, October 01, 2010 - 01:24 AM UTC
Coming along nicely. Nice color choices for Sunoco. I don't know about your tanker, but I had a heck of a time trying to get those ribs to fit. What a pain!

Jim
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 3,289 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,620 posts
Posted: Friday, October 01, 2010 - 02:35 AM UTC
Kent, that looks good....looking forward to the finished product!
MacTrucks
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Friday, October 01, 2010 - 02:15 PM UTC
Jim, it took some fussing to get everything to fit right. I had to add a former in side the tank to help get it to the correct shape. As far as I know it was a production issue with warpage mainly on the Texaco reissue from a number of years ago.

Just can't decide what color to paint the cab interior for a period look. Time for research.
jimb
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,539 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,405 posts
Posted: Friday, October 01, 2010 - 02:27 PM UTC
Oxblood Red is always a good choice. This is it in a 1975 352

1975 Peterbilt 359/352 Brochure.

Jim
MacTrucks
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Saturday, October 02, 2010 - 11:43 AM UTC
Oxblood Red is perfect. Maybe not a great match to the blue cab and yellow rims, but I think that was a standard color choice. My other choice was black, but that is overdone and doesn't show as much.
 _GOTOTOP