_GOTOBOTTOM
Cars
Discuss all types of automotive modeling here.
A DeChroming Question For the Aussies
outback
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 247 posts
Auto Modeler: 18 posts
Posted: Monday, October 11, 2010 - 12:26 AM UTC
Hi.

My question is to the Aussies. I'm removing chrome plating from some parts. I've read quite a few suggestions on the "best" way. I've found Mr Muscle to be quite good BUT it's not removing the underlying laquer to my satisfaction. After two soakings I'm left with a white coating that has to be sanded to remove. What product available in Oz do you use that will remove Chrome and the laquer undercoat.

Cheers
Shane
pastafarian
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 207 posts
Auto Modeler: 66 posts
Posted: Monday, October 11, 2010 - 12:15 PM UTC
Not from down there, but I use bleach. Just throw the parts in a small bin of bleach overnight and then rinse them with water.

John
outback
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Thursday, October 14, 2010 - 07:13 PM UTC
Thanks for your reply John. I was discussing this a my local hobby club and two people use and swear by caustic soda. One of my fellow modellers like to model car and trucks in a somwhat less than showroom condition. He was telling me he dabs caustic soda on chrome parts to get that spot rust affect on old bumpers. I've purchased some and will be trying that tonight.

Thanks again for the time you took to reply.

Cheers
Shane
pastafarian
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 207 posts
Auto Modeler: 66 posts
Posted: Friday, October 15, 2010 - 03:06 PM UTC
Did you get that at the hobby shop or a chemical store? I've never seen a box of caustic soda on the shelf anywhere. Sounds like something i'd like to try though.

outback
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Friday, October 15, 2010 - 08:25 PM UTC
I picked up a 500g container at our local supermarket (Woolies for the Aussies) for about 5 Aussie dollars. It was with the drain cleaners. Just mix with water and away you go (hopefully).

Cheers
 _GOTOTOP