Scale truck modeling topics.
Ford LN 8000 Coke truck to film truck
Jmarles
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 1,138 posts
Auto Modeler: 16 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 12, 2010 - 12:42 PM UTC
Never had a chance to partake in the truck campaign/ group build last year, but I managed to find an old AMT/Ertl Ford Louisville Coke delivery truck. I plan on converting it to a "grip" truck as seen on film sets. It's an older 5 tonne, which works as older trucks are common on film sets up here (due to less stringent inspections for trucks 15 years or older). The other plus are they are basically custom converted so I have complete artistic license. Mine will feature a box extension over the cab, extra batteries, "joy" cable hook up, a small office, equipment racking, internal/external light changes and assorted film equipment and shop equipment. I will most likely leave the roof loose so as to view the internal detail. Hopefully I can post some pics when done, and maybe some progress pics. I will be taking some pics of real trucks next time I am at work. (currently working on Stargate and Final Destination 5).
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 3,289 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,620 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 12, 2010 - 02:28 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Never had a chance to partake in the truck campaign/ group build last year, but I managed to find an old AMT/Ertl Ford Louisville Coke delivery truck. I plan on converting it to a "grip" truck as seen on film sets. It's an older 5 tonne, which works as older trucks are common on film sets up here (due to less stringent inspections for trucks 15 years or older). The other plus are they are basically custom converted so I have complete artistic license. Mine will feature a box extension over the cab, extra batteries, "joy" cable hook up, a small office, equipment racking, internal/external light changes and assorted film equipment and shop equipment. I will most likely leave the roof loose so as to view the internal detail. Hopefully I can post some pics when done, and maybe some progress pics. I will be taking some pics of real trucks next time I am at work. (currently working on Stargate and Final Destination 5).

Cool...on all counts!
KoSprueOne
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Myanmar
KitMaker: 4,011 posts
Auto Modeler: 851 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 12, 2010 - 04:28 PM UTC
I'll be watching this build too. My brother is a grip/electric

Jmarles
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 1,138 posts
Auto Modeler: 16 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 14, 2010 - 11:57 AM UTC
[quote]I'll be watching this build too. My brother is a grip/electric

....Ah ! Yes, I remember you said that...cool!

I've added some photos in my gallery of the actual kit, more to follow once I am finished my T-34 recovery project.....can't upload to forum as I have no hoster yet....
MacTrucks
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 285 posts
Auto Modeler: 47 posts
Posted: Friday, October 15, 2010 - 02:56 PM UTC
Very interesting. Back in 1999 we took a family vacation to visit friends in Colorado. On the way back I saw what I would call a boom/camera truck for TV or movies on the highway in Nebraska. I kept passing it and they must have gotten ahead of us during our rest breaks. On the way through Chicago, we decided to stop at the field museum. It just so happens they were shooting a movie there that day. Admission to the museum was free, because the movie basically "rented" out the whole museum. The caveat was that you would not be able to enter certain areas if they started filming. I saw a really nice Navistar COE with an extended frame and twin generator units. It also had a fifth wheel for a trailer. Needless to say, the boom truck that we kept playing highway tag with accross three states over two days wound up on that set.

I have photos, but will have to scan them. Didn't have a digital camera at the time. In 1999 cheap digital cameras were really grainy and not all that cheap ($400). My employer bought a 3Megapixel camera for $1100 that was a steal. Hard to believe nowadays my phone can take 5megapixel photos and I paid a fifth of the price! My youngest daughter at 9 years-old is fascinated by 35mm film. Don't even try to explain what an record album is.
 _GOTOTOP