_GOTOBOTTOM
Paint & Finish
For automotive paint and finishing topics.
Applying Alclad Polished Brass
wombat58
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 366 posts
Auto Modeler: 19 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 20, 2010 - 08:52 AM UTC
I'm building a 1:32 scale Packard Tourer and the kit was supposed to have brass plated parts, it didn't.
All the parts which are to be brass are a grey plastic so I purchased some Alclad Polished Brass lacquer.
Has anyone used this particular product and if so, how close is it to real polished brass, is it easy to apply?

Many thanks in advance

Des.

http://www.ww1aircraftmodels.com
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 3,289 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,620 posts
Posted: Friday, October 22, 2010 - 01:36 PM UTC
Nobody huh...well...let me help as I can then. Now, I've never used the "brass" paint, but I have used the "chrome" plenty of times. The chrome needs a black base coat to give it depth, but I've found that even red as a base works fine. While we're on the basecoat thing, the base coat does really bring out the color in different ways depending on whether it's gloss, flat or semi gloss so choose your finish in advance with the basecoat. I've used tamiya's rattle can black as a basecoat plenty of times and fins it works easier then the alclad black base coat does...but that's me.
I'd suggest a glossy black basecoat if you wish a shiney brass finish...
..oh, remember that you don't have to thin the alclad any - just load it in the AB and shoot it on in thin coats, dry a day between coats then let dry a few days more when done,and finish by a lightl polish with a clean cloth.
Anyone else agree or dissagree?....
wombat58
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, October 22, 2010 - 02:30 PM UTC
Thanks very much for the advice.
I have heard that the Alclad base black is not the best to use.
I will try what you have suggested and see what happens, anything is worth a try.
The limited instructions written on the bottle suggests to spray several light coats until the desired look is achieved, they don't mention anything about leaving it a day between coats.

thanks again.

Des.
viper29_ca
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Brunswick, Canada
KitMaker: 2,247 posts
Auto Modeler: 95 posts
Posted: Friday, October 22, 2010 - 04:40 PM UTC
Alclad's Polished Brass is to be used the same as you would use their Polished Aluminum, Stainless Steel and Chrome colors, sprayed over a gloss black base.

While Alclad probably wants you to use their Black as a basecoat. I have used Testors Laquer Black from a spray can, as well as Humbrol gloss black from a tin, thinned and airbrushed it on, and they both work fine as base coats.
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Saturday, October 23, 2010 - 03:36 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks very much for the advice.
I have heard that the Alclad base black is not the best to use.
I will try what you have suggested and see what happens, anything is worth a try.
The limited instructions written on the bottle suggests to spray several light coats until the desired look is achieved, they don't mention anything about leaving it a day between coats.

thanks again.

Des.

No, they don't say to let it dry thoroughly but you should. An example- I sprayed the chrome on a part once and the next day I wanted to polish the surface before I sprayed it again....took the silver color right off when I did! Another time I tried to use a polish on it and after two days of drying when I "touched" the polish on it it turned black...no actual polishing took place, just touched it. This stuff goes on so thin and so heavy with pigment, I figure, that it's very tempermental about drying time. A week wait for drying time seems to be the hot ticket for optimum results. Do a google search on alcad chrome or brass and see if you can find some folk's blogs on how/what they did with it.
As for the alclad black base coat, it's not that it's bad or anything...I just like the tamiya gloss black rattle can since it's easier.
wombat58
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, October 23, 2010 - 09:49 PM UTC
Thanks guys for your advice, I will be trying your suggestions.

Des.

http://www.ww1aircraftmodels.com
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Sunday, October 24, 2010 - 03:09 AM UTC
Des...no problem...try it on a test piece to see what you get.
BTW...nice site! AWH Dang....I spy a WNW H-B W29!!!!!!!!!!!...makes me want to finally drag out my 1/32 battleaxe D.VII and fire that up.
Bribo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 205 posts
Auto Modeler: 1 posts
Posted: Monday, January 24, 2011 - 05:02 AM UTC
I've used Alclad paints a few times on Aircraft Models, and the advice you've been given is good. Check out this site Alclad 2 as they give many recommendations on how to undercoat, and how to spray it. I've found that I need to put a few drops of Laquer retarder in the paint, or it dries in the Airbrush, but it is very hot here usually (South Louisiana) so it may not be an issue for you.
 _GOTOTOP