Scale truck modeling topics.
Cheap crackerbox cab prices-
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 3,289 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,620 posts
Posted: Monday, October 25, 2010 - 03:33 AM UTC
Just got back from ordering STS's GMC crackerbox cab conversion. They have it up on special for $45 since the top/back of the cab needs to be reinforced{I'll use epoxy} due to mold shift I guess. Normaly this cab was $60 but these are the last few...sounds like he's retiring this cab like he has others so you might want to consider grabbing one before they're gone all together...I've lost out before a few too many times already on some of his cabs!
Just thought I'd pass this along to those who'd be interested - here's the link to the site{top RH of the page};
STS
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Saturday, October 30, 2010 - 02:04 AM UTC
In case you folks were wondering what the deal with the back/top of the cab was...here ya go-

You can barely see thru the cab width slit there{look for the redish line}, but that's the issue, a thin section that I intend to fill with 30min epoxy.

One other slight area of interest...the grill area needs some cleanup...looks like the mold got torn alittle...no big deal.
Any given mold only has so many pours before it starts to let go and tear...the more detailed the master is the more likely the mold is to tear. I'm guessing that STS makes a run of any cab till the mold let's go, then goes to another cab.
straightedge
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 1,352 posts
Auto Modeler: 100 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 03, 2010 - 12:48 AM UTC
Hello Bob I appreciate the heads up on the cheap price on the Cracker Box because I been wanting to get one so now I did finally order one, and as for the back end I plan to make it into a sleeper version any way.
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Wednesday, November 03, 2010 - 10:02 AM UTC
No problem there Ken, but this cab is the sleeper version. Still, it's and easy fix...
straightedge
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
Posted: Saturday, November 06, 2010 - 01:12 AM UTC
Bob you say this is the sleeper version but I can still remember back to when I first started to drive truck a guy in Kill Buck Oh. had a Cracker Box with a V-12-71 in it and his sleeper stuck out far enough to cover the V-12 then it angled down to the frame in the back under the sleeper, to where this sleeper goes straight down to the frame in the back.

I remember there used to be a site that had a bunch of Cracker Boxes but I don't remember any of them showing any with the sleeper like I'm talking about.
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Saturday, November 06, 2010 - 01:41 AM UTC
You mean something like this?.......
GMC video

,,,found it through a google search under "V-12 GMC crackerbox". You could try Bing.com too......
straightedge
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
Posted: Thursday, November 18, 2010 - 02:33 AM UTC
Yes that is how his sleeper went at a slant up to it but I believe he built a wire cage in the back to let air through but you could not see his engine until you jacked up his cab.

See he done a lot of heavy hauling with his city weld trailer restrapped to make it look like an angry cat and he also had a high side kit put on his trailer so no one could see what he was hauling so when you looked at his truck it would appear to be empty but have enough steel on it to be well over loaded, and then with that V-12-71 series for an engine to when all these cracker boxes come with a 6-71 series in them and he stayed with dual 3" exhaust stacks to which some did put a Y pipe on their 6-71 series to make them have a dual stack set up but with his 12-71 he didn't need the Y pipe.

By the way I don't know to much about these Cracker Boxes outside of I thought they looked cool but how come the cracker box that we bought has a straight up the back sleeper when this one in this film has a slant up the back to it's sleeper.
Thank you for your time Kerry
 _GOTOTOP