_GOTOBOTTOM
The Garage
For general automotive modeling or non-modeling topics.
Colour suggestions
colin-rlc
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 91 posts
Auto Modeler: 3 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 13, 2010 - 01:45 AM UTC
Greetings all !! I normally model 1/35 WW2 and modern UK/NATO softskins and armour, but have recently 'discovered' ebay. I am now 'accumulating' a large number of 1/24-1/25 car kits,AMT/Monogram/Revell/Fujimi/Hasegawa etc US muscle cars and prestige/GT/sports type cars. For some of the Fords (Mustangs), the instructions suggest Ford engine blue for the block, but no paint number. Can anyone direct me to a suitable Humbrol enamel or acrylic colour to suit, or is it ok to just do it all black ?
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 3,289 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,620 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 13, 2010 - 02:27 AM UTC
Testors makes a ford engine blue in bottle form - check your local hobby shop for one. If that paint isn't to your usual liking grab a bottle of something close enough to it to use.
If you don't have a LHS do an online search for the color and try and match...it's a medium dark blue.
Welcome to trying shiney things!
colin-rlc
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, November 13, 2010 - 07:01 AM UTC
Many thanks for the response Bob, will get into town and check out the hobby store next week. Will have a look online tomorrow as well.

Colin.
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 3,289 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,620 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 13, 2010 - 03:37 PM UTC
No problem brother, here's a link for the Model Master paint{sorry- I thought it was testors}.
ModelMaster paint
Now, if your shop in town doesn't have this brand, print out the color they show online and compare it to the paints they do have.
Snowhand
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,066 posts
Auto Modeler: 234 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 14, 2010 - 07:30 AM UTC
I'd probably go for humbrol 48, mediterranean blue. It's probably not a precise match but then again, if it were a precise match, it would probably too dark in scale
colin-rlc
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, November 14, 2010 - 08:51 AM UTC
Many thanks to you as well Richard, that'll save some frustration ! I've got all 4 colour comparison charts on the wall now that came with Tamiya Modelling Magazine, so hopefully this will make things a lot easier as well.
Testors turquoise should be a nice match for the paint scheme on the AMT 1941 Ford woody custom as well.

When I get around to opening the box and getting stuck into it !!
 _GOTOTOP