Scale truck modeling topics.
Mack DM686SX Wrecker
MacTrucks
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 285 posts
Auto Modeler: 47 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 21, 2010 - 09:38 AM UTC
Photos of a kitbashing effort I've had in process for quite awhile. I've converted a DM800 kit to a DM600 steel hood. Engine is an old Model Truck and Fire Apparatus casting of a Mack 6 with intercooler option. Crane is from the Italeri truck accessories. I can't desided to build it box stock as the 11500 model or add the extra jib. Wrecker body is from the Italeri Western Star kit with significant changes. Stretched to fit the Mack tandem axles and open compartments that will be detailed. The wrecker itself will receive a number of scratch built features for more accurate detail and to allow it to operate. Frame is from a paystar mixer. Its the extra frame rails for the DM800 mixer. Quite the hybrid and sometimes pain in the ......

test fit of drivers side

Bumper Dry Fit

Cross bar detail
jimb
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,539 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,405 posts
Posted: Monday, November 22, 2010 - 01:12 AM UTC
Looks like an interesting project. Looking forward to more updates.

What's that red truck in the background?

Jim
MacTrucks
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 285 posts
Auto Modeler: 47 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 23, 2010 - 03:39 PM UTC
That's the Italeri Western Star that came with the Bro wrecker. I would finish it, but can't figure out what to do with the mudflaps. To use the Bro wrecker you have to lob the end off the frame. That leaves me with no good way to make the frame look like a tractor frame with the taper for the fifth wheel. I also have to shorten the fuel tanks and now don't like the way they look on the tractor. But that I can scratch build
jimb
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,539 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,405 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 24, 2010 - 02:07 AM UTC
I suppose you could always put GW Trucks' 16ft Weld dump body on it. I have one of them in the stash. It's nice.

Jim
 _GOTOTOP