_GOTOBOTTOM
The Garage
For general automotive modeling or non-modeling topics.
How building models help other things-Tonkas!
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 3,289 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,620 posts
Posted: Monday, December 06, 2010 - 04:36 AM UTC
This is going to be alittle left field here on the site, but I wanted to show how when one builds models of any kind, this useful ability can be transfered elsewhere for other things....like rehabbing old Tonka trucks. The process is nearly the same as restoring an old model kit. Carefully take apart the subject of choice - in this case it's an old Mighty Tonka twin boom wrecker - and rebuild it. I 1st sanded the rusty spots{not a common issue with plastic models - I know} and then smoothed those in. Then I gave the whole thing a wet sand for paint adhesion. Then found the resto decals{yup-decals} on ebay for my intended piece and then found a matching{or close} paint. Sometimes you need added{or replacement} parts and this is where ebay comes in handy.
Here's the current progress of the twin boom wrecker...decals will go on later today followed by a clear coat to seal them in. All I need now is better cab glass since mines is fractured{stress crack city here} and then put it all back together!

Here's last years rehab project...used to be yellow{the grab handle gives that away} but I wanted orange.

The next one up for rehab...I need a front end loader's cab and glass still since this one was void of it when I bought it. Already have the decals on order. I might make this one yellow since I have spare yellow rims and tires....no-one will ever know{shhhhh}.

Here's my son's stash already...I've decided that when the day comes that he outgrows them, they'll get rehabbed and saved unlike all the ones I had as a kid - hindsight is always 20/20 isn't it!

I'll have the wrecker done for christmas, but that roller is questionable...his birthday is only a few months away{may}, so that's my back up plan!
Hope you enjoyed this and maybe got inspired to try your own-
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Monday, December 06, 2010 - 05:17 AM UTC
Oh, nearly forgot that I also have a Tonka Winnebago{the big one} to button up when I can find some better side glass-

...my daughter likes to occasionally play with them too - there are a few times both of my kids can play together nicely, unless they want the same one!

...I'm gonna need a bigger shelf I think!
Hwa-Rang
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 6,760 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,182 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 08, 2010 - 11:13 PM UTC
Hi Bob

Looks like you've done a great job restoring the Tonka toys.
Never heard of Tonka, untill now that is

I have yet to restore an old toy, but I have certainly repared a lot of toys and here my modeling skill's have been a great help. The line "Dad can you glue this" I have have heard many a times.

A nabour of mine had a few friends over for beers, beeing fairly intoxicated he accidently shoved he's wifes favorite plaster figures on the floor. guess who got to glue it together again
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Thursday, December 09, 2010 - 03:10 PM UTC
Jesper...happy holidays sir. Yeah, the line here is "daddy, can you fix this again?"
I take for granted sometimes what I have always had around me, the rest of the world knows about...sorry. Tonka has been a big thing with kids on this side of the pond since I was a kid{yeah, that long and longer actually}. I had countless hours of fun playing with my trucks when I was little...my friends had theirs too.....we all had Matchbox and Hotwheels vehicles, Lionel trains, GI Joes, Lego blocks and then models....then it was skateboards and BMX bikes...then girls! Add a tree fort along the way with some of the guys older brother's .....uhmmmmm...adult monthy periodicals ...ahhhh the stuff of one's childhood...here.
 _GOTOTOP