_GOTOBOTTOM
The Garage
For general automotive modeling or non-modeling topics.
The Next Generation Campaign
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Auto Modeler: 35 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 16, 2010 - 04:27 AM UTC
Starting shortly on Armorama will be a campaign called the next Generation, it is open to all members who are 17 or under at the time of signing up to the campaign. In order to complete this campaign you will need to build a model of a plane, boat, space ship, car, or armoured fighting vehicle. The model must not be started until after the start date and completed within a six month period. You are requested to post up your progress in a specific thread which will be running on Armorama, and members who are not entering are requested to look in on the thread and give your support and help with any questions that come up. When your entry is complete you will need to post a completed picture up in a gallery set up specifically for this campaign.

At the end of this campaign there will be some prizes for the best entries in two categories, these categories are;
Rookie, those members who are new to the hobby or with less than a years experience.
Veteran. A member who has been involved in the hobby for over a year.
The KitMaker Network and its staff have supplied some prizes for this purpose, and is also being supported by Iain Hamilton of AK interactive USA.

Here is a link to sign up for the campaign, and here is a link to the thread where we request you post your progress and ask any questions you may have.

Members who have a family member of the right age group to enter this campaign, and who may or may not be a member of the KitMaker Network are requested to bring this campaign to that person’s attention for their consideration.
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 3,289 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,620 posts
Posted: Friday, December 17, 2010 - 08:18 AM UTC
Neat idea.
Questions though...
-does said entrant have to fully build and/or paint{if any used} the model?{ie-Can we as parents help snap some things together when asked?}...and can snap kits be used or does it have to be glue kits?
-how young can the entrant be?{I have a 5yr old boy and an 8yr old daughter.....I'm leaning heavily toward my 8yr old daughter of course }
CMOT
ARMORAMA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, December 17, 2010 - 07:40 PM UTC
As long as most of the work is their own and they enjoy the experience we will have achieved the aim of this campaign. I understand that depending on the age of the person entering the campaign then a parent or guardian may need to help them with some aspects. Bob I am happy for the entry to be snap together I would like to see them get the paint out though, but even that is not needed. The goal of the KitMaker Network is to engage the next generation of model builders and encourage them in this hobby.
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Sunday, December 19, 2010 - 02:57 AM UTC

Quoted Text

... The goal of the KitMaker Network is to engage the next generation of model builders and encourage them in this hobby.

..not to steal your thunder, but, "that's my job"...your just the Assist!
After talking to the wife we agreed that if either of my kids wished to join in the build{and they do!}, we'd do it through my access since they're both alittle too young for a membership just yet. It's not that we don't trust the site{my daughter has a laptop with a parental controlled online access monitor}, it's just I don't see them building often enough to warrant a membership just yet...when they hit 10...12...or so I could see that happening easily enough. We'll build for the fun of it with no campaign ribbon needed...kinda like I do.
CMOT
ARMORAMA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, December 19, 2010 - 05:06 AM UTC
Understood Bob I look forward to their participation.
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Sunday, December 19, 2010 - 03:40 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Understood Bob I look forward to their participation.

Glad you understand...the kids are cohmping at the bit to get building. I procured two kits for this very reason - the daughter wanted the Scoobydoo mystery machine snap kit and the boy wanted the Batboat glue kit...I got it, but I'm going to try and lean him into the old AMT Patton or Tiger1 snap kits I stashed for him...got a Revell Panzer snap kit for him too....we'll find something his speed!{he's only 5}
Hmmm...the way he's been interested in my Gundam kit, maybe an old easy one of those too....that's...uhmmmmm...armor, of sorts, isn't it?!
 _GOTOTOP