Scale truck modeling topics.
What I've Been Up to Lately
jimb
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,539 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,405 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 02, 2011 - 01:41 PM UTC
So, here are a couple of projects that I started recently, but are now stalled due to the weather.

The first one is a AMT 1974 Mack R685ST. The plan is to do A.P.A. Black frame with red cab. The engine & transmission are Tamiya Gold Leaf X-12.

The Inspiration:

The second one the a Revell of Germany 1973 Kenworth W900. I'm hoping to do a blue & white paint job, but no planned company. Maybe Warren. The frame will be blue, and the Caterpiller 3408 will be white.

The Inspiration:

The last one is a AMT Kenworth K123 that I cut down to a 63" daycab. The plan is Yellow Freight; so it'll be Swamp Holly Orange with a single axle black frame. The cab will be "updated" to a 1974-ish, so the Cummins NTA370 will be Cummins Beige. Well, that's the plan, anyway.

The Inspiration:

Jim
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 3,289 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,620 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 02, 2011 - 02:53 PM UTC
Ooooooh, nice all the way around on those!
Hmmm..I wanna do the same thing to my K-123{darn- ya beat me to it}, and even though I know the rereleases are just around the corner I can't get myself to do it...yet! Maybe I'll have to do a super sleeper since someone has already started my origonal idea! Hmmm- after I finish up a pair of custom caddys and two other trucks!!!!!!!
Hey, on the W900, are you doing those exact stripes? -Silver full wide base color with either white pinstriping or pinstripe masking with an over lay of white paint...remove the masking pinstripe and viola, two tone accents.
BTW...got my 5 sets of JBOT decals the other day..it was worth the almost year and a half wait!
jimb
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, January 03, 2011 - 12:48 AM UTC
The K123 that I cut down was a paint bomb that I got from a guy on another forum. I have no idea what paint he used, but Purple Power & oven cleaner barely scratched it! Man, was that a pain to get off.

I don't think I'll do the W900 exactly like the picture, but similar. Not a fan of the stacks on the 1:1, and it supposedly has a 12V71 under the hood. Thanks for the tips on the painting.

I need to get an order into JBOT as well. I need some "Movin' On" & "The Blue Mule" decals along with some other stuff. I'm glad he's back in action. I used his Winslow Stripes on my Peterbilt 359, but they didn't turn out so good. It was my own fault; I didn't use Microscale Liquid Decal film on the decals first.

Jim
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 3,289 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,620 posts
Posted: Monday, January 03, 2011 - 02:16 AM UTC
Actually even with 60 folks to go yet, he's not yet back to taking orders still{checked yesterday again - it's a habit now}.
I got on about a year and a half ago right as he closed up orders and just got them last week since I was on the very tail end of his to do list.
He doesn't say to clear over the decals...bleeding issues or what? Inquirering minds wish to know!

...PS, I like those 1:1 stacks...easy to do since they're straight pipe{aluminum rod}
jimb
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, January 03, 2011 - 02:23 AM UTC
If you'v never used JBOT's decals before, be EXTREAMLY careful. They are printed on much thinner decal paper than most decals I've ever seen. Long stripes tear very easily. Do a couple of coats of clear, and a couple of coats of Liquid Decal Film.

Jim
chuckyr
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 2 posts
Auto Modeler: 1 posts
Posted: Friday, January 14, 2011 - 05:23 AM UTC
Can't wait to see some more progress.
jimb
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, January 14, 2011 - 02:18 PM UTC
You & me both!! I have glued the K100 cab together, now it's just filling & sanding. And I have the air deflector for the Mack, but it's still too darn cold to paint.

Jim
 _GOTOTOP