_GOTOBOTTOM
Cars
Discuss all types of automotive modeling here.
Revell model contest...I just found out today
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 3,289 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,620 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 16, 2011 - 08:14 AM UTC
For all or any of you thinking of building a recent Revell released kit, they have a model contest going on right now. Pick any of the shown kits and build it either OOB or Open class{50% of the kit used} and you could win some nice prizes. Thought I'd pass this along-
Revell model contest

Oh, I just emailed them about the use of a resin body in the above contest or if one could heavily mod the kit body....I await a reply and will pass the answer on for those of you interested here.

Hmmm...reading Stacey's bio got me to thinking....I have a pair of old Kawi 440 snowmobile motors....just need to find a goKart frame that'll hold a 6'4" guy{me}...I better stick to model building!
windysean
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 1,917 posts
Auto Modeler: 268 posts
Posted: Monday, January 17, 2011 - 08:49 AM UTC
Cool news, but not getting a lot of reaction here on the KitMaker forums, apparently.
If I was a decent car guy and could get those awesome gloss finishes, I'd make an entry. It's a little intimidating though.
I wish you luck, Bob!
-Sean.
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Monday, January 17, 2011 - 02:59 PM UTC
A 49 Merc done up with an extended and fastback type tail end would be a thought in my mind...as well as one done up as a modern concept with flattened body panels and flush mounted headlights....Hmmmmmm.....
...too bad Revell didn't let the '57 caddy eldo-bro or '59 caddy in as possiblities - I'd be all set then!
Glossy finishes are simply a matter of a good base finish...smooth and primered. Even rattle cans can yield a good finish, follow that up with a good wetsanding with 3000, 6000, 8000 and 12,000 grit and a good polish and your set.
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Friday, January 21, 2011 - 10:57 AM UTC
Hmmmm...May 15th deadline huh.....could be done!
...gotta go check the stash for the needed items and then ebay.......

-Anyone else wanna try with me...build it here and enter it there?!
Come on - who's game?
viper29_ca
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Brunswick, Canada
KitMaker: 2,247 posts
Auto Modeler: 95 posts
Posted: Friday, January 21, 2011 - 04:51 PM UTC
If I read the rules right, it has to be mostly the Revell kit, so unfortunately I think replacing the body with a resin one would be against the rules.

Rules also state that the contest is only open to US residents. Booooo on Revell for that one!
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Saturday, January 22, 2011 - 05:41 AM UTC

Quoted Text

If I read the rules right, it has to be mostly the Revell kit, so unfortunately I think replacing the body with a resin one would be against the rules.

Rules also state that the contest is only open to US residents. Booooo on Revell for that one!

Nope, per Revell's reply yesterday there's two classes;
1) boxstock...nothing else added.
2) open class where the build has to have 50% of the origonal kit and "resin bodies are allowed so long as you use the frame and interior tub...think about it, the body is one half and the frame is the other. I think they'd like to see the build use as much of the kit as possible, but if you think about it there's nothing wrong with letting guys use a resin body since we - the builders - are showing that someone can purchase Revell's product and enhance it which still facilitates the purchase of a kit anyway..money for them either way, right?

I asked about using a Jimmy Flintstone resin merc semi truck body over a modded merc chassis to make the chassis a 1 1/2 ton truck and they said it would be ok- this was my minor idea. My major idea is to heavily mod a '49 merc...still is...but it's nice to know what can be done.
If all else fails send them a question thru they're US site{sorry scott} and ask - it took 3 1/2 days for my reply which isn't too bad considering the day to day questions hurled at them as well as the contest questions.
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Saturday, January 22, 2011 - 05:57 AM UTC
Though I'm still researching the ideas, so far I have this slated for my '49 merc-
1) canted quad headlights
2)extended rear fenders
3)trunk stretched out Cadzilla style
The kit I'm starting with is the limited edition '49 merc #85-2860 which has rounded hood edges already, a chopped top, plain and louvered hoods and one piece front and rear glass pieces...also has a nice set of Caddy sombrero hubcaps and chrome reversed wheels. Oddly enough there's no provision for just front and rear rool pans since the kit was made for bumpers to be installed...but that's an easy fix to fill in the bumper tab holes.
Canted side window pillars would've been a nice touch and something other than the supplied round only taillights as an option would've been handy, but I have another kit that has some options that I can borrow from...starts with an A _ _......
I need to lay hands on the newer '61 styleline Ford to see those custom headlight pieces it has and how they may fit...making ovals out of strip stock isn't one of my favorite things to try!
 _GOTOTOP