Scale motorcycle modeling topics.
Aoshima Ninja 900 build
sauceman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,672 posts
Auto Modeler: 10 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 02, 2011 - 08:51 AM UTC
Well troops started on this one today, nice to take a break from armour LOL!

Used to own one back in the late '80s so I will try to replicate a mix of several incarnations my bike went thru

Got the frame assembled, lotsa mold seams and bad part fitment although the detail seems good.

Did most of the engine assembly as well. Some srue attachement points are in a really bad spot, such as on the valve cover where the small ridge is along the bottom.

Also glued the tank together and dealt with the seam as the outer cover is in two halves

Until next time.

cheers
Fazer1006
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 234 posts
Auto Modeler: 19 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 02, 2011 - 07:14 PM UTC
Great start Rick,
Although, a Yamaha man myself, it is nice to see some Motorcycles on the forum. (Hang on, I should get my kits out LOL )
Look forward to some more updates on this.
Mark
sauceman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Thursday, February 03, 2011 - 02:48 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Great start Rick,
Although, a Yamaha man myself, it is nice to see some Motorcycles on the forum. (Hang on, I should get my kits out LOL )
Look forward to some more updates on this.
Mark

Ya it's nice to take a break from those multimedia armour kits LOL!

cheers
sauceman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Monday, February 07, 2011 - 10:32 AM UTC
[quote name='gpz900ra7' timestamp='1296822535' post='122770']
Always a joy to see a GPZ900R being built, and this looks like its going to be a peach when finished.

I am a bit biased when it comes to these bikes, as my username may just give a clue to why, :icon_biggrin:

I have an '89 GPZ900R A7, that's it in my avatar.

Going to be watching this closely as I love these machines.

Shaun.
[/quote]
Thanks for coming along LOL. I had just over 115,000 k's on my 900 when I had to get rid of it. (that's a whole other story).

Todays entry I concentrated on the engine. I airbrushed it Tamiya semi-gloss black and dry brushed some silver for the fins and worn edges. Lets not forget that i'm modelling a well used bike, not a brand new outa the crate showroom example.

This bike would go at least 10,000 k's before I would take off the fairings for a good cleaning, so for the usual oil and road grime build up I mixed together some mortar cement, MIG's pigment resin and some India Ink for colour. This was smeared and stippled on with a short hair brush. Concentrating on the oil pan gasket, down the front of the motor and the front sprocket area.

Until next time!

cheers
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 3,289 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,620 posts
Posted: Monday, February 07, 2011 - 02:45 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Used to own one back in the late '80s so I will try to replicate a mix of several incarnations my bike went thru cheers

Wish they made the Kawi H2 750.....the 3 cylinder, 2 stroke version...I'd make one of my old rides back then...stupid no down-5 up shift pattern!
Nice build so far....I'd like to see this one finished. You plan on your bikes blue?

...don't get the "naked bike series" thing - she's faired. Now an old KZ900 or my old '73,'74, or '75 H-2s or my maroon '76 KZ750B....that'd be a different story.
sauceman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, February 08, 2011 - 03:28 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Wish they made the Kawi H2 750.....the 3 cylinder, 2 stroke version...I'd make one of my old rides back then...stupid no down-5 up shift pattern!
Nice build so far....I'd like to see this one finished. You plan on your bikes blue?

...don't get the "naked bike series" thing - she's faired. Now an old KZ900 or my old '73,'74, or '75 H-2s or my maroon '76 KZ750B....that'd be a different story.

Thanks, ya I'm planning on the blue / silver combo.

Gunze makes the MACH III 500.

And Aoshima does make the Z1

I do agree, the 900 Ninja is not a "Naked" bike LOL.

cheers
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Wednesday, February 09, 2011 - 01:18 PM UTC
Oooh cool...I didn't know they did an H-1...late '60s as well given the drum up front. My buddy had a '69 H-1 the same time I had my H-2s. Nothing like the sound of a wound out 2 stroke! I'll have to search around for that H-1 kit - Thanks for the heads up!
Just noticed the 4th pic of yours with the V&H pipe{4-1?}...you gonna try to make that or stay stock?
sauceman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Thursday, February 10, 2011 - 03:24 AM UTC
Ya got to love them old widow makers LOL.

As far as the V&H pipe i'm not going to bother, this one will be a basic OOB build.

cheers
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Thursday, February 17, 2011 - 03:26 PM UTC
Awh come on man, you could make that muffler...make a cone for the inlet side of it with a few tubes glued in each other and taper them down....a large tube for the muffler body and a piece of aluminum tube curved for the outlet - or bend a solid rod and drill it out. Try Dennis Kirk or any web search for a good side shot of the badge, scan it and play with the size in a photo shop program...being just black and silver you should be able to print it out on some decal paper and viola...your old bike! Just a thought......but I think you can do it!

As far as the old widowmakers I think Walnecks Cycletrader coined it best on their review of the old Kawi- "the power curve of a sledgehammer and diabolical handling with less headend stability than a common dirtbike! To do it all over again I'd find a nice H4{GPZ} frame and fit the H2 motor in that then try and route the pipes.....or try and find an H2R !

Oh, if your going to build your old bike, does the decal sheet give you the black & silver outlined tank stickers, side panel and quarter fairing stickers to match your bike?
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Thursday, February 17, 2011 - 03:34 PM UTC
Here, check the SS system badge in "available colors" and enlarge it- hehehe.
a good badge shot
ridders
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10 posts
Auto Modeler: 2 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 09, 2011 - 01:50 AM UTC
hi all,new to site , would any of you know of of any other m/c build sites, i have a number of bike kits in me stash which i may get around to building before i fall of me perch and i like to look at other peoples builds to get more info on various kits.
i have seen a build on GUNZE bsa gold star somewher on net. am building guzzi centuro at the mo,my kits to build consist of gunze,esci,italeri protar,helle,machbox
airfix, revell. i mainly build in the winter months as i ride and tiffle with the real thing in good weather, thanks all fer listening. tom
sauceman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, March 09, 2011 - 02:35 AM UTC
Welcome to the site!

If your looking for more motorcycle build sites you can try this one...

escalemodels

cheers
ridders
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10 posts
Auto Modeler: 2 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 10, 2011 - 10:04 AM UTC
thanks for info, i also asked about military 1/35 scale on amourama site. its good to look at other peoples builds, and get ideas.
tom
 _GOTOTOP