_GOTOBOTTOM
Cars
Discuss all types of automotive modeling here.
Jagermaister
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
Auto Modeler: 62 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 08, 2011 - 08:40 AM UTC
I saw one of these when I was about 13 years old. It was black and it is the first car I ever fell in love with at first site. Now, I have managed to build one. I would love to have the real thing, but, at my age, this is about all I really need.

This is the Tamiya 1/12 scale kit of te Porsche 934 RSR. It was an absolute joy to build. It takes up half a shelf in the display curio, but I would love to do another one of the big Tamiya kits. If you happen across this kit, you should get it and build it. It was a lot of fun, and seems to have gotten me out of my builders rut. And most important, the wife loves it, and has given her approval to get the 240 ZG.

Q and C welcome.

And now, on to the next build.
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Tuesday, February 08, 2011 - 09:21 AM UTC
Sorry about the fuzzy pictures. I am trying different spots in the house in a quest to find a good place to set up and photograph models. The kitchen is a good spot, but I think I need to work on lighting a bit. A few of the pics came out real good, and others really came out bad. I will shoot some better ones tomorrow.
Snowhand
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,066 posts
Auto Modeler: 234 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 08, 2011 - 10:14 AM UTC
From what I can see it's a very clean build. It could have used some dirt inside the wheelarches and on the tires.. Even racing cars are never that clean (And I see them a lot as I spend a fair amount of time at the circuits )
Hwa-Rang
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 6,760 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,182 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 08, 2011 - 11:13 PM UTC
A beautiful clean build Carl.
Did you add any am parts or is it straight out of the box?

No wonder you feel in love with this beauty
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Wednesday, February 09, 2011 - 09:21 AM UTC
It was almost OOB. I added some extra wires and and tubes.

I do like to use my old armor model skills to muck things up a bit from time to time. But I couldn't bring myself to dirty this one up. I did try to to file down the tires to give them a worn look, but the rubber material didn't want to file down. I could have tried the belt sander, but I dont think it would be to easy to find replacement tires.

I didn't have time, or enough sunlight to shoot picture today. But I did just think of something cool. Imagine me in this car, driving down to a nice warm beach in Florida.

old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 3,289 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,620 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 09, 2011 - 01:03 PM UTC
Very nice build of a cool car{an old fave of mine as well}....sadly I was at a loss at 1st viewing as I was hoping you were handing out "shots" - oops!
CMOT70
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 629 posts
Auto Modeler: 34 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 09, 2011 - 01:22 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I do like to use my old armor model skills to muck things up a bit from time to time. But I couldn't bring myself to dirty this one up. I did try to to file down the tires to give them a worn look, but the rubber material didn't want to file down. I could have tried the belt sander, but I dont think it would be to easy to find replacement tires.

Carl, it's probably best that you didn't do too much sanding on the tires. Many people have done that on the hollow Tamiya 1/12 tires and a few years later the thinned rubber perishes and cracks open along the join line. Maybe it doesn't happen with the tires in the newer re-released kits, but i wouldn't risk it!

Anyway good job for sure, makes me want to get out the 935 Martini car...but i've been hoping to find a Scale Motorsport detail set. On the other hand i'm not really prepared to pay $500 for a detail set anyway...

Andrew
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Thursday, February 10, 2011 - 11:18 AM UTC
There was a little sun out today, so I shot some more pictures.

_GOTOTOP