_GOTOBOTTOM
Paint & Finish
For automotive paint and finishing topics.
How do you combat dust?
Griffon65
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 363 posts
Auto Modeler: 10 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 23, 2011 - 08:11 PM UTC
Hi again. Does anyone have any ideas of how to remove dust from a model before you paint it? No matter what I do or how hard I try I can't get my Tamiya Honda NSX to be compleatly dust free before I spray it.

Any help would be greatly apreciated!
dioman13
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 2,184 posts
Auto Modeler: 4 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 24, 2011 - 04:18 AM UTC
Hey Dean. I use a small hand held bulb pump or airbrush to blow the dust off. When painted, I cover it with a box to keep the dust off till dry.
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 3,289 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,620 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 24, 2011 - 03:04 PM UTC
When ever I'm sanding on a given piece, I like to wash the whole thing off and let it air dry before any paint goes on. Sanding dust likes to get in all the nooks and crannies.......using your AB is an easy way to remove any dust, but your just putting it back into the surrounding air and it may find your model again. Depending on where you are in your house, you may wish to use some kind of filtered air purifier to keep dust at bay...or at least as much as possible. Dust after the model is painted, as said eariler, can be overcome by a cover over the freshly painted piece - so long as dust hasn't already hit it prior to being covered, you should be ok.
sgtsauer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 2,605 posts
Auto Modeler: 2 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 24, 2011 - 04:52 PM UTC
What do you use for dust?

Why you would use this...an M42 Duster.

Sorry, I couldn't resist.
Griffon65
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 363 posts
Auto Modeler: 10 posts
Posted: Friday, February 25, 2011 - 12:55 AM UTC
Thanks for the replies guys.

@ Bob (Davis); I tried using my airbrush to blow the dust off, but scerics of dust still remained on the surface before I sprayed. I think that part of the problem is that I can't see the bits of dust on the model until I spray another coat of paint on. When I layed down the most recent coat of paint tonight I did put a bucket over the model, though.

@ Bob (Chawgo); That's a very good idea. My main problem lies in regular household dust that clings to the kit body in between coats of paint and I can't see them until I've laid down the next coat of paint, but I will try that for my next kit.

@ Brent; , but seeing as this is a AutoModeler, I think this might be a bit more apropriate:

It'd be nice if I could find a pic of the Revell 1/24 Plymouth Duster
 _GOTOTOP