_GOTOBOTTOM
Cars
Discuss all types of automotive modeling here.
Can anyone id this car from 1957?
firstcircle
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,249 posts
Auto Modeler: 6 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 27, 2011 - 11:27 AM UTC
Hi, would anyone be able to identify this car for me, please? Photo is from 1957, the car belongs the 101 Airborne Division.
The writing on the open door seems to say something + Sedan, but for the life of me, it looks like it says "Crusty Sedan" which must be wrong!

Anyone, any suggestions?
HARV
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wyoming, United States
KitMaker: 3,098 posts
Auto Modeler: 182 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 27, 2011 - 11:45 AM UTC
Hi Matthew.,

Unless I am mistaken it is a 1956 Ford Country Sedan.

Hope that helps.

Randy
firstcircle
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, February 28, 2011 - 06:27 AM UTC
Brilliant, Randy. I knew you'd know . . . thanks!
Snowhand
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,066 posts
Auto Modeler: 234 posts
Posted: Monday, February 28, 2011 - 09:12 AM UTC
I would have had the Ford part right It has Fairlaine 500 heritage that is clearly visible (grille, front light bezels, overall shape)
HARV
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wyoming, United States
Posted: Monday, February 28, 2011 - 03:09 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Brilliant, Randy. I knew you'd know . . . thanks!

You're welcome Matthew. I am glad that I could help.

Randy
Wolfsangel
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 221 posts
Auto Modeler: 33 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 01, 2011 - 04:10 PM UTC
Personally, I'd go with "Crusty Sedan". When I read that it brought a tear to my eye and made my stomach hurt from laughing.
Charlie
HARV
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wyoming, United States
Posted: Wednesday, March 02, 2011 - 06:51 AM UTC
I was just curious Matthew. Are you planning a project with this car or were you just curious as to what type of car it was?

It would be cool to build one of these and have it painted olive drab but still have all of that chrome.

Thanks,
Randy
firstcircle
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, March 03, 2011 - 09:39 AM UTC
Hi Randy, I am considering a project with this car. I must admit that from looking at the original photo that I cropped this from, I think that the car is actually black rather than olive drab.

Without me saying any more about it . . . can I ask, do you already recognise the incident portrayed in that photo? I'm just wondering if it is so well know in the US that you know what it is, even though I've cropped most of the photo out. Sorry, I know this might sound cryptic!

As for building one, all I have found so far is that it seems possible to buy a 1/25 scale body shell from Jimmy Flintstone, which would be used in conjunction with some Revell kit from which the chassis and suspension would be taken. The problem for me with that is that 1/25 is a bit on the big side, and limiting in terms of figure availability. I'd actually prefer it to be in something like 1/48. I guess scratching it wouldn't be totally impossible (given a few years... )
HARV
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wyoming, United States
Posted: Monday, March 21, 2011 - 01:18 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Without me saying any more about it . . . can I ask, do you already recognise the incident portrayed in that photo? I'm just wondering if it is so well know in the US that you know what it is, even though I've cropped most of the photo out. Sorry, I know this might sound cryptic!

I imagine it is the incident that took place in Little Rock, Arkansas.

Sorry for the long delay in replying.

Randy
windysean
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 1,917 posts
Auto Modeler: 268 posts
Posted: Monday, March 21, 2011 - 05:26 AM UTC
Yes, I think most of us recognize the photo, and the high school student pins that picture down for certain. For added verification, another angle is shown in color on the cover of the book "A Mighty Long Way" by Carlotta Walls LaNier (turned up in a Google search), showing the government car is definitely black. (unless it's a B/W photo with color added later, but even then, the car is too dark to have been any other color than black.)
I see those soldiers have the Screaming Eagle shoulder patch of the 101st Airborne, to verify what you've said above.
-Sean.
 _GOTOTOP