_GOTOBOTTOM
Cars
Discuss all types of automotive modeling here.
C5's Chevy vs Hemi build blog
c5flies
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 3,684 posts
Auto Modeler: 294 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 22, 2011 - 01:10 PM UTC
Started on the Vette, model year 1997. The fifth generation of Corvette was an engineering marvel from the ground up, completely redesigned from its predecessors in all major components. The C5 captured the worlds eye proving that American ingenuity could produce a refined sportscar that fit in the supercar category, rivaling others from around the world that had 4 to 5 times the price tag.

The rear transaxle improved weight distribution (51% front/49% rear) and provided more room in the cockpit. The hydroformed seamless siderails of the chassis lowered the sill making entry/exit easier and added strength, while the floorpan was constructed of wood encased by a composite material reducing noise and vibration while adding stiffness.

Suspension consisted of front and rear transverse composite leaf springs, unequal length A-arms, fully independent with sway bars. The LS1 was Chevy's new small block, coupled with the low curb weight and 0.29 drag coefficient the C5 topped out at a bit over 170 MPH.

No spare tire was included due to the different size front and rear directional tires. Extended Mobility Tires (run flats) from Goodyear were equipped with pressure sensors that allowed the driver to check psi on all four corners in the Drivers Information Center on the dash.

The Legend Lives!

Enough of that, on to the build...

This is the Revell/Monogram 1/25 kit released in '97, 113 parts molded in white, chrome, clear and clear red. Pretty well molded kit with minimal flash and construction has been straightforward and easy so far. The body has a wicked twist to it which I hope straightens out when attached. the center part of the dash (radio/climate control) looks a little weird but may have been the standard equipment option that really no one got

Here's where I am to date, just got the primer and first color coats on the body today.

Oh, and the only part of a Vette that a Dodge will see...that is until the Hemi falls too far behind to see my taillights...

Hwa-Rang
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 6,760 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,182 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 22, 2011 - 11:00 PM UTC
Considering it's a Chevy, it looks fairly decent.

Quoted Text

completely redesigned from its predecessors in all major components.

Well, they had to, if they wanted to be anywhere near Mopar standard.

Quoted Text

The body has a wicked twist to it

It's a Cheby it's supposed to be like that.
c5flies
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, March 23, 2011 - 01:13 AM UTC
Thanks Jesper.

Quoted Text

The body has a wicked twist to it.
It's a Cheby it's supposed to be like that.

Agreed, one of the pitfalls of having all that torque
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 3,289 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,620 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 27, 2011 - 08:54 AM UTC
-They still use the "torque tube" huh....interesting.
-No "HUD" in the kit?{that I see of}

...I'm sorry...who saw who's taillights here...3 times in a row?
C-5 turbo vs Viper turbo}
Now, honestly, I don't know what motors there are under the hoods, they both have aftermarket turbos added, but it would seem the Dodge makes the better use of it..........maybe it's just me...and the camera.

I looked up '04 viper and vette specs{to keep it even} and found this;
-vette; 0-60 @4 sec
0-100 @ ????
top speed @ 181
1340 @ 12.2-4
-viper '04 gen 4; 0-60 @ 4 sec
0-100 @ 8.36 sec
top speed @ 189.5
1340 @ 11.7
...do you have access to the 0-100 vette specs - I can't readily find them.
I heard{honestly} that the two are close in price...true? MPG goes to the vette from what I heard, but if you can toss the money out for the real car....who cares, right?

old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Sunday, March 27, 2011 - 08:57 AM UTC
Jesper...you instigator, I love you signature area writing!
c5flies
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, March 27, 2011 - 11:48 AM UTC
HUD wasn't available '97-'98 although it can be retrofitted.

Yup, I agree the Viper is faster in the straight line...the Vette isn't a 1/4 miler. A Cobra would probably edge me out too with its supercharger, but once we hit the twisties its bye-bye. Also, 15 minutes in a Viper and your body is pounded whereas you can go cross country in a Vette, comfortably. Twin turbos are an expensive way to go in a Vette, rather have a Magnacharger if I'm going to add $10k. That top speed sounds too high for an '04 Vette, unless it's for a Z06. Which again, give up creature comforts for a bit more speed...which is great if it's not a daily driver, although still pretty comfortable.

'97 Viper=$66,000
'97 Vette=$37,000

So, not very impressive numbers for the Viper...considering it has 100+ HP more and a much higher price tag.

$29,000 in added goodies for the Vette turns the tide around. The biggest problem with the Viper is my wife can't get the groceries into it
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Sunday, March 27, 2011 - 02:46 PM UTC
I hear yah, add to that the viper is heavier...{hp to weight ratio}...a V10 is needed. Yeah, those vette figures were for the Z06....I honestly don't know about long drive vetting but a guy I know loves his old viper for long drives - go figure, everyone has different tolerance levels I guess. I'd opt for a new Viper myself if I was throwing the money out...love the looks of them. Going for a vette I'd go old school numbers{years} and suffer the handling for the classic looks.
I've seen the HUD during daylight hours...impressive - bet it's better at night! That's a concept that should be in more cars...I think.
It kinda wierds me out that they'd use "plywood" as a stiffener in the vettes in this day and age of composite materials - carbon kevlar isn't nearly as expensive as it used to be and if bought in bulk.......any stress cracks in that pan and moisture will seep in and swell the wood and cause more cracking. I think they could of done it better- I also didn't know the vettes were that cheap....impressive. I've been handed a mop once by a salesman I knew after standing there drooling next to a Viper I liked...smart aleck!
Your build is looking good so far...can't wait to see the "counterpart"
....do a "modtop"...I double dodge dare yah!
c5flies
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, March 27, 2011 - 04:36 PM UTC
Actually, I believe its Balsa wood, which kind of freaks me out too! It does work though as mine are still in perfect condition and she's not a garage queen. I love the '70-75 styling, but not all the problems that go with them. The C5 was really the first dependable Vette I know of, although I thought the body styling was blasphemus at first, with that big a$$ and all That was until I found out what that body styling did for handling...

Looking forward to what the 2012 Viper will be like, if they actually pull it off. Of course at a $105-115k pricetag that I'm expecting I'll be sharing that mop with you since that'll be out of my ballpark!

Anyway, this is a pretty simple build so far. Getting ready for the final color coat on the body, and trying to get a decent color match for those stock wheels. And I'll be starting the 'counterpart' soon also, I'll try and play nice
 _GOTOTOP