_GOTOBOTTOM
Cars
Discuss all types of automotive modeling here.
1/25 1966 Batmobile build
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 3,289 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,620 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 09, 2011 - 08:27 AM UTC
I finally got around to starting this one since I got tired of waiting for the "new" one to show up...this is a Jimmy Flinstone resin full kit meaning it has nearly everything - except for the wheels.
Jim gave the option of an open hood for those who wished to show some kind of a motor, so I decided right off the bat{terrible pun} that I wanted to make a believeable engine for this. Robin's line at the start up of the motor on the old TV show is- "atomic batteries to power - turbines to speed"....I'll forgo the atomic batteries but the rest of the line lends me to believe plural turbines so I built my motor as a twin. Below are the picks of that idea and I'm looking for input...does it look too dark?...need more detail?

Here it is in the body - just fits is what I was looking for, and I got it.

...and the hood can close over it too...I opened up the hood scoop.

I was hoping to button this one up for the TV and Movie campaign build but there's no way I could pull that off so it'll just be a leasurely build here.
My biggest issue is how to do the red pin stripping on the body, but I'll sweat that later..motor for now!
Thoughts, comments, complaints or whatever are always welcomed-
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Saturday, April 09, 2011 - 08:31 AM UTC
Oh, just in case there's any confusion as to how I stated it above...I scratched the motor since no motor was given in the resin kit.
windysean
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 1,917 posts
Auto Modeler: 268 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 09, 2011 - 08:37 AM UTC
Fantastic! That's everything I would imagine the bat-turbines should look like-- plenty of detail and sits perfectly under the bat-hood.
Thanks for posting!
-Sean.
jimb
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,539 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,405 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 09, 2011 - 12:50 PM UTC
Those turbines look great, Bob. Very nice job detailng them. I hope the Batmobile has bigger air intakes than those two little hood scoops.

Jim
KoSprueOne
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Myanmar
KitMaker: 4,011 posts
Auto Modeler: 851 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 09, 2011 - 02:10 PM UTC
wow, looks great so far. sort of does look 'dark' and very bat like

Yoni_Lev
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 861 posts
Auto Modeler: 339 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 09, 2011 - 05:38 PM UTC
Atomic batteries to power. Turbines to speed.

Nice work!

-YL
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Sunday, April 10, 2011 - 01:26 AM UTC
Thank you all.... I was hoping I got it right.
Jim- those twin scoop areas in the front bumper are mesh filled when done...big air ducts!
Yoni, KSO, Sean- that engine was two 1/48th F-101 Voodoo ducts on a bulkhead to start with...two 1/2" tubes to the rear bulkhead with two 1/1000 star trek origonal series command domes behind that for the supposed exhaust sections. The top was just pure imagination and lots of tidbits in an attempt to make it look feasible. I need to redo those two intake domes up front due to the poor coverage of alclad chrome to lighten them up....didn't catch that till I looked at myown pics- oops! Model master buffable lacquer in titanium and magnesium for the main colors.
The body was fully primered then wet sanded off to smooth it and look for low and high spots - nearly none! The hood however needed a surrounding .020 filler strip added to tighten up the fit to the body and about a 1/3 of that was removed.
Got the interior touched up here and there with some filler and I'll try to start that this afternoon.
Pilphered a set of rims and tires from a fireball 500 kit here.
My daughter gave me a heck of an idea for another build of this car...she said I should paint it purple with pink lines for the batgirl car...that'd sure be different!
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Sunday, April 10, 2011 - 01:44 AM UTC
Check this out. I'd love to lay hands on the decals for this one-I've got the van body!!!
bat parachute pick up van

I sent him an email about those decals..hopefully he can steer me in the right direction to aquire a set.
Jim, he makes a "rubber duck" mack hood ornament that he sells too...look under comments.

One of the nice things about my giving up buying models for lent is that I can still buy accessories...just not kits!{ahhh loopholes!}
Hwa-Rang
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 6,760 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,182 posts
Posted: Monday, April 11, 2011 - 09:01 AM UTC
I love the old Batmobile.
The engine looks awesome Bob.

The pin striping will definitely be a challenge.
windysean
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Monday, April 11, 2011 - 09:58 AM UTC
Are the pinstripes simple, single, red stripes? You could use Microscale Decals parallel stripes like THIS and it's only $2.20 plus shipping.
You could even pick pink for the second car!
-Sean.
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Monday, April 11, 2011 - 11:26 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Are the pinstripes simple, single, red stripes? You could use Microscale Decals parallel stripes like THIS and it's only $2.20 plus shipping.
You could even pick pink for the second car!
-Sean.

Sean, the problem with those are getting straight pin stripes to curve around rounded areas and still lay flat.......my 3 viable options are;
1) hand brushed pin stripe{ugh}
2)pin stripe tape
3) model semi truck pin stripe and "curve" set and hope the radius' match up.
Technically the correct color is a orangish red and somewhere I have a site on fave that tells the correct real color used. Between work and our neighbor having passed away satruday my time has been spent elsewhere..I hope to be back here on this soon.
windysean
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Tuesday, April 12, 2011 - 01:41 AM UTC
Good points. There's a limit to how much Solva-Set can do to decals pulled around curves, and I don't know the qualities of the MicroScale products to say how they'd perform.
Best wishes at home there.
-Sean.
PS, now I'm going back to the Armorama side, where we don't have no stinkin' curves.
IanDow
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 6 posts
Auto Modeler: 2 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 14, 2011 - 04:51 PM UTC
Love the scratchbuilt engine. The batmobile is one of my all time favorite cars and I use to watch the show just to see the car. Great work and keep all the photos coming.
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Monday, April 25, 2011 - 09:13 AM UTC
Painting day - It looks good in black! 3rd coat of black lacquer.

...nevermind the other two cars...other irons in the fire.
 _GOTOTOP