Scale truck modeling topics.
DAF 380 ATI Tractor
ti
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Dalarnas, Sweden
KitMaker: 2,264 posts
Auto Modeler: 210 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 28, 2011 - 05:55 AM UTC
This is my first 1 / 24 scale truck ever. So go easy on me. This is a DAF 380ati Space cab, an old kit. The kit went together quite well except for some minor issues with battery box, which did not fit well. I also had problems with the painting that caused a rough surface on the passenger side. But besides that, it was a fun kit to build. Hope you all like it. I'm still adding little details every now and then.

jimb
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,539 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,405 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 28, 2011 - 06:47 AM UTC
Charles, that's a excellent build! Great job on the weathering & all the little details. That's what really brings truck models to life.

Jim
ti
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Dalarnas, Sweden
Posted: Thursday, April 28, 2011 - 07:47 AM UTC
Thanks Jim.
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 3,289 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,620 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 28, 2011 - 11:52 AM UTC
Are those the 2 piece Italeri tires?...if so they never looked so good!...may have to quit tossing those in a box and try using them!
I thought "the ruff paint" was intentional! If it's too much next time try wet sanding and then a clear coat.

Now, my Euro truck knowledge is lacking so I have to ask, is that a box stock truck or did you scratch the front end to make that model/series?

I also like the "flaky paint look"...is that from hair spray or the salt technique?...or something else all together?
Very nice all around!
ti
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Dalarnas, Sweden
Posted: Thursday, April 28, 2011 - 01:05 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Are those the 2 piece Italeri tires?...if so they never looked so good!...may have to quit tossing those in a box and try using them!
I thought "the ruff paint" was intentional! If it's too much next time try wet sanding and then a clear coat.

Now, my Euro truck knowledge is lacking so I have to ask, is that a box stock truck or did you scratch the front end to make that model/series?

I also like the "flaky paint look"...is that from hair spray or the salt technique?...or something else all together?
Very nice all around!

Thanks Bob. The truck was built outta the box with many extra details used from the Italeri Accessory kit. The front extra lights, fire extinguisher, tool box resin from KS.
The chipping was super simple. Paint black, then wait for an hour or so, then paint silver. Wait about 20- 30min, then take a sharp hobby knife and scrap away carefully until you get the effect you' looking for.
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 3,289 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,620 posts
Posted: Friday, April 29, 2011 - 01:01 PM UTC
The hairspray method is like yours...paint underlying color, hairspray, then the top coat which is to be scraped off.
The salt method is the same but leaves small splotches like missing paint flecks.
Baking soda is another one where it'll leave a crusty area like rust.......
ti
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Dalarnas, Sweden
Posted: Saturday, April 30, 2011 - 05:26 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The hairspray method is like yours...paint underlying color, hairspray, then the top coat which is to be scraped off.
The salt method is the same but leaves small splotches like missing paint flecks.
Baking soda is another one where it'll leave a crusty area like rust.......

Yep. That's right. Same kinda results different method.
ti
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Dalarnas, Sweden
Posted: Tuesday, May 31, 2011 - 12:46 PM UTC
Good tip about the baking soda Bob. I'll have to try that out soon.
Snowhand
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,066 posts
Auto Modeler: 234 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 01, 2011 - 09:32 AM UTC
I just love it. Coming from the Netherlands, I am used to seeing DAF trucks, but rarely are they this dirty Then again, we don't exactly have deserts here

Well done sir, very well done
ti
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Dalarnas, Sweden
Posted: Wednesday, June 01, 2011 - 10:57 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I just love it. Coming from the Netherlands, I am used to seeing DAF trucks, but rarely are they this dirty Then again, we don't exactly have deserts here

Well done sir, very well done

Thanks Richard. Glad you like it. Personally I do not like a clean model. If it is not have a used look then I will not model it.
 _GOTOTOP