Scale truck modeling topics.
Dodge L700 - REA stakebed
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 3,289 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,620 posts
Posted: Friday, May 13, 2011 - 12:57 PM UTC
I finally found the time and inspiration to finish this one up and I thought I'd share. The truck cab and chassis is the ancient IMC kit believe it or not and the stake bed is scratched with a wooden bed as well....I relocated the rear axle and stretched the frame to accomodate the 15' bed. I also cut out the 2 extra pieces for the 3 piece rear window and glazed that with flat sheet clear.

I really wanted to button this one up for my truck campaign but it just wasn't in the cards - better late then never I guess.
Hope you injoy-
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Friday, May 13, 2011 - 01:16 PM UTC
Figured I add afew more while everything is here in front of me....
Here's the bottom where you can see the balsa wood decking..and some bar code{oops- good thing it's underneith}.

I did the 3 seat option and dirtied them up..nothing major.

The engine is the stocker and painted...my main effort was the rest of the kit- maybe I'll have to to back in there and detail it someday.

The rear window was easy to cut out but a minor pain to get that sheet stock to curve inside the cab and not craze{turn whitish and show teeny lil stress cracks}

To do it all over again{noooooo....not starting all over from 2 years ago!!!}, I would have done the mirror brackets in brass rod, flattened the actual mirrors, made it a 17' bed, alittle shorter height stakes and done up the rims in red though some trucks rolled out in black rims too. I still like it and hope you do too...and I'm glad she's finally done.
jimb
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,539 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,405 posts
Posted: Friday, May 13, 2011 - 02:31 PM UTC
That's wicked, Bob. I really like it. Great job!

Jim
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,953 posts
Posted: Friday, May 13, 2011 - 09:11 PM UTC
Beautiful job O-D, very nice build indeed. I'm very jealous as well because I'm getting precious little time at the bench right now.

Cheers, D
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Sunday, May 15, 2011 - 01:06 AM UTC
Thanks guys...I've been meaning to button this one up for a while now and finally got to it.
Left to go now ;
-mack tow truck
-mack rescue rig
-DAF XT extra cab
-Dodge L1000 daycab
windysean
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 1,917 posts
Auto Modeler: 268 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 19, 2011 - 02:22 AM UTC
Bob,
Just noticed this thread. Very nice work as usual. Cool, off-beat subject done really well. Sure the mirror brackets could be thinner, but no biggy. And with that bar-code exposed, you could try to take it back for a refund later, if you ever need more space on your shelf.
thanks for posting!
-Sean.
 _GOTOTOP