_GOTOBOTTOM
Cars
Discuss all types of automotive modeling here.
Old MPC jeep
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 3,289 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,620 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 19, 2011 - 09:43 AM UTC
Lately I've been trying to finish up some old shelved builds that were stalled and this is one of them...the kit is the old Universal dune buggy kit {CJ5}that was a 3 in 1 where the builder has the choice of a stock jeep{open or with a soft top on}, a dune buggy with fat tires or one could add the included wide front bumper, half hard top and snow plow to make a service jeep like the old gas stations had...well, they did around here.
My kit was missing some parts- the stock hubcaps, half the chrome pieces and a few tidbits which most of were scrounged from another jeep kit{daisey duke jeep from ebay}. I added the rear tailgate chains and plow lift chain.

I drilled out the spare tires wheel holes and tossed it in back..just because I wanted that look, added a CB antenna behind the cab for the CB radio in cab, and added a Jerry can for gas for those in need. She still needs a few things to finish her off- door handles, hood latches, and the top yellow beacon. I have a beacon nearly done but have to alclad chrome the base yet. Door handles and hood latches will have to be scratched since I don't have those.
This is a really neat kit if you like jeeps and if it ever gets rereleased you should look into one just for the options it has. Neat thing is if one cut the top and extended it and made new sides for the rear you could make a "full hard top" version.
Comments, critisms and the like are always welcome...
KoSprueOne
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Myanmar
KitMaker: 4,011 posts
Auto Modeler: 851 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 19, 2011 - 09:52 AM UTC
Nice! Good old project choice to dig out

Hwa-Rang
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 6,760 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,182 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 26, 2011 - 06:15 AM UTC
Very nice subject. The added details look great. A kit with lots of opportunities for adding all kind of bits and pieces.
windysean
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 1,917 posts
Auto Modeler: 268 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 26, 2011 - 07:39 AM UTC
That's fantastic! I love that truck. I had an idea in the back of my head to make a CJ2 or 3 half-cab snowplow that I remember vaguely from grade school. I still may someday, in 1/35 scale from a flat-fender military jeep.
I used to have a '79 (AMC) CJ-7 Golden Eagle, so I built one from a different kit, before I knew about the Daisy Duke one (complete with the Golden Eagle hood decal). I can't remember the kit maker, but it wasn't an obvious name.
You've made a real winner. I didn't know that little gem existed.
Thanks for posting!
-Sean.
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Wednesday, June 29, 2011 - 03:42 AM UTC
Just for laughs and to wax nostalgia I'll add the boxart for this old relic...I hope round2 rereleases this one!

old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Wednesday, June 29, 2011 - 03:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

... I didn't know that little gem existed.
Thanks for posting!
-Sean.

Oh it did, but I'd have to guess that it was something in the nature of 34 years ago since I believe I had this one when I was in 7th grade and sadly there's no year marking on the box that I saw of so I have to guess. There were 1-2 other jeep kits out there around the same time frame- an army type with a recoiless gun on it {hogan's heros jeep type}and another as a swamp buggy...both had same or similar options as my kit above.
My want list still includes a "Jeepster"{not the commando} and a Hondo truck....one of these days!
 _GOTOTOP