_GOTOBOTTOM
The Garage
For general automotive modeling or non-modeling topics.
plastic kit prices from the past
KoSprueOne
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Myanmar
KitMaker: 4,011 posts
Auto Modeler: 851 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 19, 2011 - 09:48 AM UTC
only 14 years ago...

I found this receipt today while cleaning house.

What happened to that store? What happened to those prices? What happened to that time?

1997 seems like it was just yesterday ...

Anyone else have images of old receipts and price tags from their personal collection reflecting the MSRP of THAT time?

old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 3,289 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,620 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 19, 2011 - 10:06 AM UTC
Yeah, I can remember when I was a kid, mowing grass and doing chores for a week and being able to go over to ben franklin and buying a new model kit...two weeks worth for a semi truck kit.........and believe me I wasn't paid that much!
Days gone by!.............hey, 415 area code, isn't that cali?{Maynmar?}
KoSprueOne
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Myanmar
KitMaker: 4,011 posts
Auto Modeler: 851 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 19, 2011 - 10:59 AM UTC
yup, San Francisco. This store was on 555 9th St.

old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Monday, June 20, 2011 - 10:30 AM UTC
My friend lives in Anaheim and my last hotrod came from bakersfield...was wondering, that's all.
Hwa-Rang
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 6,760 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,182 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 26, 2011 - 06:07 AM UTC
Car kit's are not that easy to find in Denmark. Most hobbyshops(Those few left) have mainly aircraft, tanks and only e few car kit's. Most of my car kit's I order from Evers toy store in Dyersville Iowa. Even though the kit's are quite cheap compared to Danish prices, they end up close to 40$ a piece, with postage, customs and vat. Back in the old days all toy stores had a fair amount of kit's on their shelves, but no toy store have modelkit's anymore.
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Tuesday, June 28, 2011 - 12:48 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Car kit's are not that easy to find in Denmark. Most hobbyshops(Those few left) have mainly aircraft, tanks and only e few car kit's. Most of my car kit's I order from Evers toy store in Dyersville Iowa. Even though the kit's are quite cheap compared to Danish prices, they end up close to 40$ a piece, with postage, customs and vat. Back in the old days all toy stores had a fair amount of kit's on their shelves, but no toy store have modelkit's anymore.

Yeah, being on the opposing side of the pond that the kit you want is does have a tendancy to add up doesn't it?! Any resin bits, kits or decals I've found from the UK gets alittle pricey...guess it goes to show- how bad do you want it?
I remember when I was "much" younger, I had quite a few shops in town to choose from for purchasing from...99% of them long gone now. My current choices are HobbyTown USA 3 towns away, Hobby Lobby of which 2 are close by, or the web. I luck out with a bi-annual model kit show as well where I find new and old treasures that's only 25min away....or ebay.
 _GOTOTOP