Scale truck modeling topics.
Heavy Haulage - Boat Transport
ti
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Dalarnas, Sweden
KitMaker: 2,264 posts
Auto Modeler: 210 posts
Posted: Monday, July 11, 2011 - 09:11 PM UTC
This is my lastest construction is already completed( just almost) . This is a boat Haul. This is what I have put together for a total, eight hours. This will be behind a DAF xf 105 tractor.
I decided to start with the trailer to give me some motivation and I think it has exactly that. I think the trailer came out exactly as I had planned with some minor modifications..

A point I have to stress here is that in my reference pic I could not determine whether or not the trailer had suspensions or not. It was very difficult to see. By looking at it you would assume it did not have any. But I could be wrong as I cannot see any. So, I modeled the trailer without one because it would be difficult to model a suspension without knowing the construction of how it looks. So please keep this in mind.
I am working out a a way to add some suspension to the already build model without damaging it to much. Thanks. Here are my reference pics, to show what I mean:

BTW, does anyone know how to simulate shrink plastic, like in the reference pic of the covered boat? I'll like to cover the boat in this fashion.

The added details took me some time though but I think the results pleased me.

I could not get the windshield any better than it already was after trying to remove the extra paint and scratches. So I just made it to look like it had been oversprayed with heavy mud/dirt/grime. I'll try and get the areas with the wipers to show through a little better. But this is how it looks after extensive hard work.

The complete build. Still have to add a few details to the tractor, like horns, fuel spillage, scratch marks, painting the lower casing of the strobe lights on top of the cab, rectifying the seams of the fuel tank, etc. Hope you guys like the results.

AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,953 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 12, 2011 - 01:47 AM UTC
Hi Charles, you have done a superb job on this project. The scratchbuilding and detailing is very well done on the trailer and the weathering on the tractor looks great.

Well done, D
jimb
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,539 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,405 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 12, 2011 - 03:40 AM UTC
Great detailing, Charles. Your weathering it supurb, and your scratchbuilding is fantastic. This is a great combination. So, are you going to scratch a boat to put on it? If you "shrink wrap" it like the top one you could probably eliminate a lot of the "details", but then again that's not quite your style, is it?

Jim
ti
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Dalarnas, Sweden
Posted: Tuesday, July 12, 2011 - 05:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Charles, you have done a superb job on this project. The scratchbuilding and detailing is very well done on the trailer and the weathering on the tractor looks great.

Well done, D

Thanks for your comment.
ti
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Dalarnas, Sweden
Posted: Tuesday, July 12, 2011 - 05:40 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Great detailing, Charles. Your weathering it supurb, and your scratchbuilding is fantastic. This is a great combination. So, are you going to scratch a boat to put on it? If you "shrink wrap" it like the top one you could probably eliminate a lot of the "details", but then again that's not quite your style, is it?

Jim

Jim, if all the details are going to be hidden, then there will be no need to put all the extra details on.
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 3,289 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,620 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 12, 2011 - 10:38 AM UTC
Ti, that 105 is a dirty girl...and she looks Good!
As for the shrink wrap look - I'd have to sugest the obvious, use Glad cling wrap but just one turn.
I have to echo what's been asked, is there a boat-load in the near future...

Excellent work to date, looks like something I'd expect to see in the pages of Truck model world!
ti
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Dalarnas, Sweden
Posted: Tuesday, July 12, 2011 - 08:43 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Ti, that 105 is a dirty girl...and she looks Good!
As for the shrink wrap look - I'd have to sugest the obvious, use Glad cling wrap but just one turn.
I have to echo what's been asked, is there a boat-load in the near future...

Excellent work to date, looks like something I'd expect to see in the pages of Truck model world!

Thanks for the tip but the glad wrap is not white in color. I'm looking for a boat already and may have found one.
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 3,289 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,620 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 13, 2011 - 11:31 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks for the tip but the glad wrap is not white in color. I'm looking for a boat already and may have found one.

Hmmm, how about tissue paper then - use a 50/50 white glue/water mixture to coat the already installed tissue paper to set it in place...add wrinkles per your desire and add white paint to make it more opaque if needed...as a back up plan you could still use the cling wrap but flat coat it then give it a white wash to whiten it up to your liking.
ti
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Dalarnas, Sweden
Posted: Wednesday, July 13, 2011 - 07:01 PM UTC
Might work. thanks for the tip.
grimmo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 752 posts
Auto Modeler: 16 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 16, 2011 - 11:29 PM UTC
Charles, your work is simply amazing! it's fantastic you can move from military to civillian so easy!
ti
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Dalarnas, Sweden
Posted: Sunday, July 17, 2011 - 04:45 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Charles, your work is simply amazing! it's fantastic you can move from military to civillian so easy!

Thanks Matt. Glad you like it. I've been a fan of big rigs for a long time, even when I was doing military modeling. I just had to give it a try..

_GOTOTOP