_GOTOBOTTOM
Paint & Finish
For automotive paint and finishing topics.
Looking for a new Chrome Paint
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 3,289 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,620 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 30, 2011 - 03:19 AM UTC
Using Alclad II chrome is a trail and error...though mostly my errors since I don't always use the recommended enamel base paint, so that leaves me looking for alternative methods/types of chrome. I recall seeing a fairly large chrome spray bottle ad here on site and now that I'm actually interested in it I can't find it- Has anyone or does anyone know what that chrome spray was and who made it? I've seen the Spaz-tix chrome reviews and the big dollar chrome spraying rigs that professionals use but I want something more cost effective shy of sending items off to chrome-tech USA.
Anybody got any leads for a good system?
I should clarify my issues with the Alclad II - I have used alternative base coats to some degree of success but it always seems when it come time to seal it with a low volitle clearcoat, the coat either dulls it or makes it transparent from being too agressive. My best bet has always been to leave it without a clearcoat but I always seem to get minor fingerprint marks{thin looking spots} that way.....it's annoying!
viper29_ca
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Brunswick, Canada
KitMaker: 2,247 posts
Auto Modeler: 95 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 30, 2011 - 05:16 AM UTC
I use the Alclad as well...and never had a problem with it.

Alclad makes a gloss black that they recommend to use, but I have had success with using either Testors enamel gloss black or Humbrol enamel gloss black as well.

Never clear coat the chrome as I find it ends up ruining the chrome effect. Doesn't seem to matter if you are using an acrylic, enamel or lacquer clear coat.

Now Alcald has a new clear coat out, that apparently will not ruin the chrome effect, but I have yet to try it.
 _GOTOTOP