_GOTOBOTTOM
Paint & Finish
For automotive paint and finishing topics.
Removing old paint from a plastic/metal kit
Wolf-Leader
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 1,225 posts
Auto Modeler: 14 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 06, 2011 - 09:09 PM UTC
Hi I normally am in the armor section but Ihad a question for all of you.I'm new to the home page and so I really would like your help. I have recieved a old model kit (old meaing dated not as in model A old) and the person who had the kit before me started it as well as he painted and put some of the decals on the car.
So my question to all of you is this, what is the best way the strip or take off paint from a kit that has both plastic and metal parts?
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 3,289 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,620 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 07, 2011 - 02:02 AM UTC
Hey Jodi, welcome to the shiney side.....I usually use a cleaner called Castrol purple power or walmarts super clean to strip off old/bad chrome and paint....fume free oven cleaner has helped too. Brake fluid has worked on "plastic"....don't use it on resin or it'll ruin the resin part.
SHarjacek
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 977 posts
Auto Modeler: 53 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 21, 2011 - 12:53 AM UTC
If you dont have any of chemicals near you,you can sink chrome parts in Coca-cola.
Leave it there for 24hrs.I only tried it on revell chrome.
frankiebe53
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 2 posts
Auto Modeler: 2 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 01, 2013 - 05:28 PM UTC
Hello
Westley Bleach White tire cleaner also work well on removing paint. Also works on fresh resin parts to remove mold release.

Quoted Text

Hey Jodi, welcome to the shiney side.....I usually use a cleaner called Castrol purple power or walmarts super clean to strip off old/bad chrome and paint....fume free oven cleaner has helped too. Brake fluid has worked on "plastic"....don't use it on resin or it'll ruin the resin part.

JClapp
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 2,265 posts
Auto Modeler: 13 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 01, 2013 - 10:04 PM UTC
91% isopropyl alcohol is quite effective. can be had in big bottles at pharmacies and supermarkets. submerge subject in a covered container for a few hours, then start working with an old tooth brush.
use in a ventilated area !
TacFireGuru
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,770 posts
Auto Modeler: 359 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 15, 2013 - 06:01 AM UTC
I used oven cleaner to remove about 3 coats of yellow, 1 of black, and 2 coats of primer:

Worked quite well...took a few soakings but it took it down to the plastic (no damage to the plastic). I used a fine brass bristle brush to remove any stubborn areas in the nooks and crannies.

Mike
 _GOTOTOP