Scale truck modeling topics.
New Truck Kits for 2012
jimb
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,539 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,405 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 25, 2011 - 01:23 AM UTC
The major model companies have made their announcements of their 2012 line. Several of these companies wil be issuing trucks.

Revell/Monogram has announced that they will be issuing the 1/32 Peterbilt 359 and the 1/16 Peterbilt 359 in the first half of 2012. The MSRP for the 1/16 Peterbilt is ~$80. News Letter

AMT/Round2 has announced that they will be reissuing the White Western Star in 2012. This will be a good compliment to the Peerless Log Trailer they reissued in 2009.

Moebius Models has just announced that they will be issuing a brand new 2011 International ProStar with the MaxxForce15 engine, and a new 53ft Great Dane referigerated trailer in 2012. This is very exciting news for the model truck community.

Jim
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 3,289 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,620 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 25, 2011 - 11:08 AM UTC
The two Moebius proposed kits look great and Round 2 usually lets out 2 kit when it comes to the trucks...lets see what the other will be!
jimb
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, October 25, 2011 - 11:21 AM UTC
Since they reissued the Diamond Reo & the Road Boss, the next logical truck was the White Western Star (same basic frame, same cab). The only other trucks that used that cab were the Autocars.

Another easy tool up would be the GMC Astro which is identical to the Chevrolet Titan. As would be the White-Freightliner SD which shares a lot of parts in common with the White-Freightliner DD.

Of course they could throw us a complete curve ball & reissue the Kenworth T600 (mostly incorrect as a T600, but good possibilities as a W900).

We could speculate for days!

In 2011, Round2 reissued (6) truck related kits - Raod Boss, Diamond Reo, Fruehauf Van Trailer, Fruehauf Tank Trailer, Kenworth K123, & the Fruehauf Exterior Post Van. Hopefuly we'll see more that one kit in 2012. Of course if you believe the Myans, the world is going to end so who cares!

Jim
viper29_ca
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Brunswick, Canada
KitMaker: 2,247 posts
Auto Modeler: 95 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 26, 2011 - 04:30 AM UTC
I would love to see Round 2 reissue the Kenworth K100 Aerodyne. Like the BJ & the Bear truck (doesn't have to be those markings). You would think this is a no brainer as it is the last (or one of the last) trucks that AMT reissued before they gave up on making kits. So it wasn't that long ago that it was out, so you would think the molds would be fairly close by! LOL

To be honest, I would take any of the old AMT trucks and trailers. Missed out on them in my youth, and they are a boon to the stash now that they are being re-released.

The Moebius announcements are awesome. Frank had hinted that something else was coming in the truck world, but couldn't/wouldn't divulge what it would be until IHobby. I had guessed correctly on the trailer, but missed completely on the other announcement, thinking that there would be 2 trailers (modern 53ft reefer and flatbed trailers) but the new International is a nice alternative!!

The reissue of the Revell 1/16 Peterbuilt 359 is awesome news as well. Anyone build this kit before? How is it?
jimb
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, October 26, 2011 - 05:27 AM UTC
I have not biult it personally, but what I've heard from people who have is that it's a little sparce on detail considering the size of the kit. Apparently the kit was marketed for younger builders. Now, that being said, it isn't as bad as the Lindberg 1/20 Peterbilt 359, and because of it's size it does lend itself to a lot of detailing potential.

The ProStar makes sense because it shares the same frame, engine/transmission & cab/sleeper as the LoneStar. And also because Moebius already has the licensing agreement with Navastar. I wonder what other International/Navastar trucks we'll see from Moebius in the future? A WorkStar or PayStar, maybe? A 9900 Series? Who knows! I guess time will tell.

Jim
horsegunner
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 347 posts
Auto Modeler: 55 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 26, 2011 - 10:24 AM UTC
Look forward to seeing the Prostar. Working for a a Navistar dealer has some benefits when it comes to details. Would be really nice to see a Workstar or Paystar come down the
pike also.

Art
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Wednesday, October 26, 2011 - 10:51 AM UTC
I'd love to see the never made "garbage truck" body come out...hey, they made the box art for it.....and while I'd rather have a Heil bodied version, the proposed Garwood would do!
I'd like to see the D-8 cat dozer back out as well as all the Ertl semi truck kits. The dozer would be really nice if they added {or the resin guys} a nice cab and or a side cable reel set up.....I thought I heard AMT was considering an Excavator or drag line crawler - I would love to see that!
The Prostar looks like a great new rig, there's nothing wrong with an old late '60s Loadstar either.....oh, the list could go on and on!
horsegunner
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 347 posts
Auto Modeler: 55 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 27, 2011 - 11:32 AM UTC
Any new truck kit is a blessing, heck, even the re-releases of the AMT kits are a blessing. It would be a whole lot nicer if the molds from the Ertl farm tractors would be dusted off and re-released. I remember building the John Deere & International tractors when I was a kid, and I wished I still had them.
I can even remember building the old Alaskan Hauler kit, it was a great kit for the time.

Art
autopilot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 29 posts
Auto Modeler: 18 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 27, 2011 - 04:27 PM UTC
I know it would not happen but would like to see AMT come out with a brand new trailer with a donut wheel setup like the newer moving vans. And it have the vsmoother sides as the newer trailers have.
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,953 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 27, 2011 - 06:42 PM UTC
I really want somebody to do an old long-nose 1418 Benz !
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Saturday, October 29, 2011 - 02:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I really want somebody to do an old long-nose 1418 Benz !

I think I remember those{or close} in resin but I don't know if they're still avaialble-
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Saturday, October 29, 2011 - 02:37 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I know it would not happen but would like to see AMT come out with a brand new trailer with a donut wheel setup like the newer moving vans. And it have the vsmoother sides as the newer trailers have.

Hmmmm, I wouldn't hold your breath on that one bud....neat looking, but you'll see one come from your bench before the industry thinks about doing it - ranks right next to my want for some modern super single drive wheels for a tractor....hey, it could happen?!.....
MacTrucks
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 285 posts
Auto Modeler: 47 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 04, 2012 - 08:56 PM UTC
The AMT garbage truck was actually fully tooled and ready to test run. There was a strike at the plant before they could do anything with it. During the strike the tooling was not properly stored or something along those lines and the mold was ruined. They never made another and apparently stopped the dragline from ever being tooled due to tight finances at the time. They had box art for the garbage truck ready to produce. Very collectable.
 _GOTOTOP