_GOTOBOTTOM
Cars
Discuss all types of automotive modeling here.
Tamiya 1/12 Enzo Ferrari
Illini
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 345 posts
Auto Modeler: 2 posts
Posted: Friday, April 20, 2012 - 02:00 AM UTC
Just received this monster kit. Has it been reviewed, blogged, etc. here before?

If not would you like an in-box review? I've done several reviews at Armorama, so I know the drill.

First impression, this is the most complicated, detailed kit I have ever seen, including a 1/16 tank. This is the kit of a lifetime.

It will need a proper paint job. Has anyone ever heard of an auto body shop painting a kit?

I'm sure I'll have a ton of questions as I proceed. I just need to empty a room to set up to do it
jimb
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,539 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,405 posts
Posted: Friday, April 20, 2012 - 10:53 AM UTC
I've built (2) of the Tamiya 1/12 F1 cars. The first one was the #5 JPS Lotus Type 78 that I completed in 1985 (and the cat destroyed in 1987); and the second one was the #3 Elf/Tyrrell P34 6-wheeler that I completed in 1992. Both of these kits were pre-photoetch, and they were amazing kits. I, for one, would love an in-box review.

I've never heard of an aotu body shop painting a model car. I don't think they are set up for that. A modelers air brush, some Tamiya masking tape, and a good clear-coat (maybe some wax); and you should be good to go.

Welcome to the shiney side!

Jim
horsegunner
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 347 posts
Auto Modeler: 55 posts
Posted: Friday, April 20, 2012 - 11:06 PM UTC
You are so right, in the days before photoetch, these kits were bloody amazing. As to having an auto body shop paint the body, it can be done. You will have to ask them about making an appointment, and hope they are painting a red vehicle on the same day. A friend of mine had his 1/25th scale NASCAR body painted black by a local shop here in town, and it turned out awesome.

Art
Illini
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 345 posts
Auto Modeler: 2 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 21, 2012 - 12:00 PM UTC
What about re-chroming the parts Tamiya supplies with "chrome". These have sprue attachments, seam lines, etc. that need to be fixed. Is there a "metalizer" type system for chrome?

I'm obviously new to the car world, I've mostly done armor and such, which usually doesn't need chrome or shiny paint.
jimb
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, April 21, 2012 - 01:33 PM UTC
Your best bet for chrome & metal parts os Alclad; however, it can be quite expensive.

Jim
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,953 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 21, 2012 - 06:20 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Your best bet for chrome & metal parts os Alclad; however, it can be quite expensive.

Jim

Spot on Jim, but it looks great once it's on ! These parts are from a 1/12 '57 Chev which I picked up second hand and already started (very poorly), so I stripped off the paint and gave them the Alclad treatment.
BEFORE . . . . .

PAINT STRIPPING AND DISASSEMBLY (OVEN CLEANER)

TAMIYA SEMI-GLOSS BLACK ACRYLIC

ALCLAD

AFTER . . .

If you take your time and extra care in cleaning up the parts you can't beat it !

Cheers, D
jimb
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, April 22, 2012 - 01:28 AM UTC
Sweet looking Chevy engine, Damian! Is that a small block V8?

Jim
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,953 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 22, 2012 - 02:03 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Sweet looking Chevy engine, Damian! Is that a small block V8?

Jim

Yes sir, 283. I've done some wiring on it now as well. I will start a build thread once I get a bit of time, I have 3 of the 1/12 '57 Chev kits, one Corvette and one Camaro. One of the '57s will lose its lid and become a convertible (if I don't screw it up completely !).

Cheers, D
 _GOTOTOP