Scale motorcycle modeling topics.
1/6 Honda CB750 Four.. Vintage!!
PeteDoc
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 164 posts
Auto Modeler: 2 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 15, 2012 - 11:52 AM UTC
Hi - first post on Auto Modeler. I have recently returned to modelling and have been working away at other projects on Armorama.
Look what I resurrected from the attic! My mum bought me this getting on for 40 years ago - I nearly completed it then, and it's not too bad considering I was only about 14 at the time, but it needs a lot of TLC. There are several parts broken - footpegs etc. I guess it might be easy enough to scratchbuild them, but I will need advice with some aspects - I could do with a mentor to help me get it finished!
Don't know why I decided to go for the blue - I know there was a blue version, but it wasn't just the same as this. I would be happy enough to keep the colour, and I don't mind if it doesn't up in showroom condition, but I'm open to all suggestions.
Cheers,
Pete

btw - this is before I stripped it down and washed all those years of grime off - even though it had bee stored in the box, there was a hole, and it was filthy!

Hohenstaufen
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,192 posts
Auto Modeler: 29 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 16, 2012 - 08:52 AM UTC
Pete,
The kit is of an early K1, the blue colour is way out, they were more aquamarine (not metallic), with the stripes in gold.
Doesn't look like a bad attempt for a 14 year old, and it seems to have lasted well...
As for the details, if you can find Hugo Wilsons's Encyclopedia of the Motorcycle in your local library there is a fine full page spread on p88 - 89, this one's red.
Hwa-Rang
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 6,760 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,182 posts
Posted: Friday, May 18, 2012 - 08:43 PM UTC
Looks like it was well kept in the box. Even with a hole in the box. Looking forward to seeing shot's as your work progresses.
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 3,289 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,620 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 26, 2012 - 03:44 PM UTC
The blue isn't all that far off. Here is a 71 -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Honda_CB_750_K1.jpg
This cycle brings back some old memories for me, my 1st motorcycle was a 74 CB750..next cycle was a 75 CB750.
Now, per the year version of your kit, here is a 69 CB750...painted airbox and headlight brackets for this early model but I think that changed for the 70-
http://www.oldstuff.in/2011/07/1969-honda-cb750k.html/1969-honda-cb750k-6
PeteDoc
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 164 posts
Auto Modeler: 2 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 26, 2012 - 11:21 PM UTC
Seeing that blue has reminded me why I went for it in the first place, even though it was a later version. I think I used "hammerite" rattle can and it won't shift. Rubbed down, gloss black, Alclad steel and Tamiya clear orange. Not happy with the finish yet. Stripped twice already. Back to the drawing board! Mad about bikes as a kid - not helped by living 100 yards from Metropole corner on the North West 200 course. and always loads of bikes about. Coupla spills put the notion outta me at an early age!!
This years event .. blessed by good weather for a change - http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01j25bq/North_West_200_2012_Highlights_1_2/
 _GOTOTOP