Scale truck modeling topics.
Fire Trucks
IronOwl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 572 posts
Auto Modeler: 23 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 16, 2013 - 05:28 PM UTC
Hello was just wanting to know if there were more Fire truck kits than what is out there. Was looking around and most of whats out there is older model stuff. Do they even have any newer style kits anywhere? just wondering.
Thanks.
Sascha (Ironowl)
Trisaw
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 4,105 posts
Auto Modeler: 41 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 17, 2013 - 04:38 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hello was just wanting to know if there were more Fire truck kits than what is out there. Was looking around and most of whats out there is older model stuff. Do they even have any newer style kits anywhere? just wondering.
Thanks.
Sascha (Ironowl)

There are a few and most are hard to find and quite expensive. I spent quite a few years looking for some and then gave up because of the hard search and expense.

Trumpeter makes the "American La France" modern pumper in plastic and Revell-Germany makes the Rosenbauer German Airport Crash Truck and Mercedes-Benz fire trucks along with the custom Peterbilt fire engine.

SSB Resin has the latest and greatest American-style fire trucks and ambulances. Last I know, Anti-virus says their website has a virus, but I'm not sure how true that is because it's been like that for a long time, even when I emailed the owner and bought it to his attention a long time ago. There are other resin cabs out there too to make a Mack, Ford, and long-nose Brush Truck, but you're going to have to supply the body and chassis.
Sometimes you see these cabs on eBay.

Many modelers have gone into 1/87 Railroad plastic toy models because they have the latest and greatest versions of modern trucks. But not sure if you are interested in that scale.

Finally, some of the dedicated fire truck forums have modelers building modern fire trucks from scratch. One could because the aftermarket decals and lightbars are sold separately and cab construction could be made from sheet styrene and threadplate fairly accurately. So if you have the money, you could hire a modeler to build the truck you want, even a snorkel or ladder truck.
jakes357
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 254 posts
Auto Modeler: 33 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 17, 2013 - 06:31 AM UTC
Hi,
Trisaw has it right. There is some European stuff from Italeri,that is cool but not seen much in the US

I've been buying built stuff at swap meets & online and repurposing it.

P&P resins has In'tl & GM cabs that are 2&4 doors.SSB sells parts and I combine them to make custom apparatus.

I find pics and build as close as possible.FWFD has been real good about letting me take pics for reference.

Network with other modelers about your wants,I get at least 1 to 2 calls a month about stuff for sale,just 'take it away'or the lady that gave me her late husbands collection for a donation to her favorite charity ( I'm stll sorting thru that stuff...)

Think outside the box and watch your enjoyment go expotential!

Just what works me, good luck.
Jake
jimb
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,539 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,405 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 17, 2013 - 08:09 AM UTC
As far as model kits of fire apparatus goes, I think everything has pretty much been mentioned. You might consider checking here: The Scale Firehouse, for more info. These guys seem to be on "the cutting edge" when it comes to fire apparatus.

One truck that wasn't mentioned is the 1/32 Mack CF600 Pumper by Monogram. The kit is simple (designed for kids), but it does go together quite well, and it also responds to detailing quite well.

Jim
jakes357
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Sunday, March 17, 2013 - 09:01 AM UTC
Hi Jim,
The 1/32 Mack makes a great fast attack body for 1/25 dually type trucks,the extended cab frame works best without needing an extention. I slice it in half length ways and add 3/8" of width which allows the body to cover the dual rear wheels. On some I've covered the hose bed to make it look like a brush truck tanker.

I hope to market some some front bumper pumps soon. I have most of the castings already, just need to get the minor stuff in hand, to make a complete unit.

Jake
jimb
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,539 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,405 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 17, 2013 - 10:06 AM UTC
I helped my kids build a couple of them, but I haven't built one for myself (yet). I have a friend of mine that is making correct 1/32 Mack spokes & better tires. He's also working on better wheels for the other 1/32 Monogram kits. Once I get them I'll let you know how to get them if you're interested.

Jim
Trisaw
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, March 18, 2013 - 05:05 AM UTC
Not sure what Sascha wants to build, but there are some resin box bodies out there.

Chimneyville makes a shorter ambulance box body still on sale and ModelHaus makes the shortbed open Utility body. All one needs is the donor pickup.

But if you want a full cab and ambulance, go for the E250 from SSB Resin.
jakes357
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Monday, March 18, 2013 - 06:32 AM UTC
Ebay has an ambulance body up for bid. This is based on a toy ambulance I believe. I bought the Ford pickup from this guy and it was.....ok and usable with some work,(should have bought Modelhaus for the money). Some of the toys are fairly accurate and can be 'kitbashed' (oops showing some model railroad roots..)into unique pieces of emergency vehicles. Walmart/K-mart/etc are good sources for this stuff and usually on sale.

I'm thinking I'm getting away from the original query,so again some internet research will turn up items that can be used to build fire apparatus. This is probably the hardest "niche" modeling segment to build in,but the satisfaction is excellent.

Expect to spend a little more and be more creative with scratchbuilding if you choose to build in this area. I hope you are not discouraged by the lack oob kits in 1/24-1/25 scale.

Half the fun is finding just the right part/stuff for your needs.Ex: I found small plastic jewels perfect for lights in the beading area of Hobbylobby for small money based on a tip from 'ScaleFirehouse' threads.

Enjoy,
Jake
Trisaw
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, March 18, 2013 - 07:41 AM UTC
There are still people who custom-make lightbars and print their own EMS decals. The lightbars are in fact one of the pieces that distinguish Emergency Vehicles from ordinary civilian vehicles.

Some EMS modelers went and bought diecast vehicles and repainted them to EMS colors. I never tried this, not really being a diecast fan, but the results of these modelers look really good.

Of course this all depends on how much the modeler is willing to spend. EMS modeling, as with the Real Life fire trucks, isn't that cheap...
IronOwl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 572 posts
Auto Modeler: 23 posts
Posted: Monday, March 18, 2013 - 02:31 PM UTC
Hello all thanks for the great info, I was trying to see if it was possible to build the engine i'm on its an e-one late 90's model with deck gun and all. ive got someone lined up to make me a set of decals or atleast attempt to, i am still surprised at how little there is in the way of fire ems police model kits. I guess this is gonna take me a while to peice it together. again thanks for the information.

Sascha (Ironowl)
Trisaw
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, March 19, 2013 - 05:47 AM UTC
For police car kits, your best bet is Testors diecast models although Lindberg has released a new Dodge Charger police car in plastic.

This store should cater to all your EMS model kit needs although there are several modelers out there who make custom EMS details.

http://www.policecarmodels.com
 _GOTOTOP