_GOTOBOTTOM
The Garage
For general automotive modeling or non-modeling topics.
Why metallic blue??
HunterCottage
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,717 posts
Auto Modeler: 244 posts
Posted: Monday, September 16, 2013 - 07:56 PM UTC
As a car modeler I enjoy using the same tools that the professionals use for making custom paint jobs. Doing that in enamel is quite easy, but waterborne is another situation all together.

Tamiya does us a favor and offers a full line of candies that work well. No pearls, very limited metallics unless you go to their rattlecan series. Unlike DaveCox I can't use a rattlecan if my life depended on it. I need to be able to shoot it through my airbrush. So to my title. Why only offer metallic blue and metallic brown? What is Tamiya thinking? In addition to blue I need red and yellow. If I had those colors then I could at least mix the color I wanted. I don't get it.

Model Master has a full line of candies, pearls and metallics, but they are not found in my little country. I can buy them online, but have to take out an equity loan on my house to do it...

Lifecolor have no metallics, pearls or candies at all. Vallejo has some to offer, their clear pearl works well aside from the fact that it lightens the color.

The auto industry has gone over to waterborne lacquers (at least in Europe), why can't we see that change too?
 _GOTOTOP