_GOTOBOTTOM
The Garage
For general automotive modeling or non-modeling topics.
Bookmobile. Library on Wheels
KoSprueOne
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Myanmar
KitMaker: 4,011 posts
Auto Modeler: 851 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 04, 2014 - 05:40 AM UTC
I found this link while web surfing for other random things.

To the Bookmobile! The Library on Wheels of Yesteryear
http://www.messynessychic.com/2013/10/08/to-the-bookmobile-the-library-on-wheels-of-yesteryear/

This blogger compiled a very interesting article and image data base

Wolfsangel
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 221 posts
Auto Modeler: 33 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 04, 2014 - 06:50 AM UTC
Growing up in Cincinnati, I remember those.
I expected them to have books like "How to Chop Tops", Unusual Shotgun loads for the Home Reloader, Warships of the Imperial Japanese Navy, but nooo... They had novels, kids books, magazines, self-help, gardening, and general history books for the masses. Ho hum.
Then, when I started driving, I would occasionally get stuck behind one driven by the oldest, most myopic librarian in the Tri-County area.
Interesting memories of a good idea for communities.
Charlie
Hwa-Rang
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 6,760 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,182 posts
Posted: Friday, January 10, 2014 - 10:18 PM UTC
Wonderfull images of days gone by. Thanks for sharing.
KoSprueOne
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Myanmar
Posted: Saturday, January 11, 2014 - 03:37 PM UTC
yeha, I found it interesting too, guys

thanks for looking

timmyp
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 496 posts
Auto Modeler: 2 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 24, 2018 - 04:01 PM UTC
I remember The Bookmobile! It came around to our local elementary school during the summer months. (The city's Parks & Recreation department would have one of the classrooms open during the weekdays, so all us little kids wouldn't get in trouble!), and The Bookmobile would make a stop every couple of weeks. Ours was a walk-in style Bookmobile, painted in a pale mint-green color.
JClapp
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 2,265 posts
Auto Modeler: 13 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 24, 2018 - 05:37 PM UTC
I remember the bookmobile too. the one that came to our school was the walk-in type. That's how I discovered the Narnia books. Thanks for sharing the article. i was just this morning thinking of how things were 'before the internet'.
HARV
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wyoming, United States
KitMaker: 3,098 posts
Auto Modeler: 182 posts
Posted: Friday, January 26, 2018 - 05:08 AM UTC
Wow....nice flashback. Thank you for sharing the link Ko.

As a kid I lived on a ranch in rural....and I mean rural Montana. I went to a two room school and it was a little over 10 miles from our ranch. No library, so we would get visited by the bookmobile. That was always an exciting day for us!!!!

The one we had that would stop by looked something like this if I remember correctly.

Thank you again Ko.
Randy
KoSprueOne
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Myanmar
Posted: Friday, January 26, 2018 - 06:32 AM UTC
You're very welcome. I'm glad you all find it interesting. Randy, That's a great picture. Do you think that soot mark is from a wood or coal burning, on board heater? Or a smudge on the print?

Tim, JClapp, The one in my neighborhood was a walk in type as well. Similar to the ones near the end of the linked blog. Then they built a branch in our side of town and we didn't see it anymore.

Bravo1102
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,864 posts
Auto Modeler: 4 posts
Posted: Friday, January 26, 2018 - 08:41 PM UTC
There was one for me too in central New Jersey. It was a walk-in type and I remember requesting a lot of books like the old Tank Data series. A military enthusiast and model builder had gone blind and donated his entire collection to the library. Because of his selfless donation I had the chance to see most of the reference books available in the early 1970s.

The main branch was a 45 minute drive away in Freehold but had the added bonus of having an extremely well stocked hobby shop right next door.
HARV
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wyoming, United States
KitMaker: 3,098 posts
Auto Modeler: 182 posts
Posted: Friday, January 26, 2018 - 11:46 PM UTC

Quoted Text

You're very welcome. I'm glad you all find it interesting. Randy, That's a great picture. Do you think that soot mark is from a wood or coal burning, on board heater? Or a smudge on the print?

Not sure about the mark on the picture. It was one of the pictures in the link you provided. I don't remember if they had a heater in them or not. I did find the article interesting. That was a good time in my life.

Thanks,
Randy
 _GOTOTOP