_GOTOBOTTOM
Cars
Discuss all types of automotive modeling here.
WIP: Skyline R33 with motor and doors
youpey
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 528 posts
Auto Modeler: 4 posts
Posted: Monday, January 06, 2014 - 03:30 PM UTC
Hi
I am very new to the site and I wanted to share some pics of a model i am currently working on. This model is a Tamiya Nissan Skyline R33. This model does not have a motor or open doors. I decided i wanted to open them and build one that has a full detail motor, and opening hood and doors.

I have taken pics of the model un-started, and then the current progress.
The motor is taken from the tamiya R32 skyline which has an open hood and full detail motor. i have modified the frame to hold the motor, and i have cut the hood off and the doors. i have also cut the door panels off of the interior and started the merge. i am scratch building the door jams with putty and i will create a latch once the putty has dried. I will also be scratch building the engine compartment since this one does not have one

i am terrible at pics, but here are the pictures.

Here is the body untouched

Interior untouched

frame untouched

Body with cut hood and doors. it also has the frame with the motor section cut out and the interior door panels cut

One of the doors cut out with the start of the putty job. no detailing done

cut off hood

Motor not started

Questions and comments are welcome. more pics to come as things get to a good point
Hwa-Rang
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 6,760 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,182 posts
Posted: Monday, January 06, 2014 - 10:58 PM UTC
Welcome aboard Mike. Looking forward to seeing more of your Nissan.
youpey
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, January 07, 2014 - 11:57 AM UTC
well that ends this build. the tamiya basic putty that i was using for combining the door and the door panel literally melted the plastic on the door. i picked up the door today and just the pressure of me holding the door let me put my finger into the door. the plastic became like a rubber band only it didnt move back into place. probably if i didnt touch it for a while it might have not gotten messed up because the putty would have solidified completely and the door would have stayed in place. either way, without doors this model is toast. i really cant salvage this, nor will i want to at this point. i cant say i have ever seen this happen with this putty, but i guess its better to happen 15 hours in vs 100 hours or more. thanks for looking though
Hwa-Rang
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 6,760 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,182 posts
Posted: Friday, January 10, 2014 - 10:16 PM UTC
What a shame
Could it be made into a worn down, dented car?
youpey
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, January 11, 2014 - 01:10 PM UTC

Quoted Text

What a shame
Could it be made into a worn down, dented car?

quite possibly it could. not a bad idea. it hasnt made it to the dumpster yet....
Littorio
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,728 posts
Auto Modeler: 192 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 11, 2014 - 01:30 PM UTC
Mike it's a shame what's happened, but you could always turn it into a scrap heap car, repair shop car or even join the Deathrace campaign, add some guns and armour plate.

Just look at it as the car has thrown you a challenge.
 _GOTOTOP