_GOTOBOTTOM
Cars
Discuss all types of automotive modeling here.
Tamiya's Lola T70 Garage Queen
warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 5,926 posts
Auto Modeler: 116 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 18, 2014 - 09:58 PM UTC
Hi Everyone.

Has anyone else got a mostly complete car sitting somewhere in the modelling environs looking a bit forelorn under some other stuff?

I had a 1/12 Lola T70 in exactly that situation until this afternoon. I was sitting there twiddling my thumbs waiting for something to dry on the Bentley and thinking about how to do the mesh for the radiator cover when I spotted the Lola looking at me from the shelf under a paper envelope with a 75mm field gun kit is it (an old RPM one) and the rotor assembly off a 1/72 Apache on top of that.

I bought the old girl over and went and got the huge box from between the bookcase and display cabinet where it has been sitting for at least three years. I had a look at the model and retrieved the doors from where they had been sitting on the bench on the base of a lamp, together with some suspension components.

This model is 85% complete yet I had let it sit idle due to some big fit problems around the turret of the body. The doors don't fit well at all and the piece that goes into the roof to form the spine of the body, is all the wrong shape, flat instead of curved. Problem was this problem was not discovered until the part was in place and the doors didn't even go close to matching. The tops of the doors are curved whereas the roof is flat.. dang!!

I got the first door in fine but then Murphy struck and one of the door hinges decided to break off.. I glued it back on and put it aside.

When I removed the front body piece I found that the material used for the air-pipes to the driver are affecting the plastic of the body and chassis. Here is the pipe in question..

See how it has eaten into the plastic. And under the front are two patches like this where it has been pressing against the body..

Luckily you can see nothing from the outside but the tubing has to go and be replaced with something that won't eat plastic. Any suggestions??

So in summary, with just a few hours at the most spent on the model it had progressed from 85% complete to at least 95%. In summary I ..

- Attached the front wheels and tyres.
- Attached one of the tail pipes and re-glued the ends of the exhaust.
- Cleaned up the body parts reading for being painted royal blue after I paint the white for the stripe of course..
- Got the door with the intact hinges into place.
- Attached the rear anti-roll bar to its suspension mounting points.
- Got the rear tyres onto the wheels while they are in position on the car. Should have left them off.
- Fixed some front suspension parts that were assembled a bit sloppily many moons ago.
- Re-attached the rear body framework to the undertray.

So the poor old thing has been sitting staring at me for at least 7 years now and she is finally ready for masking up before I paint it.

The moral of the story? Check out your un-finished models every-so-often and do just a little bit if you can. You may find, like myself, your skills have increased heaps since you last touched the model and everything is that much easier because of it.

I will keep you all updated.

Cheers
Warren

Hwa-Rang
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 6,760 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,182 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 19, 2014 - 07:10 AM UTC
Hey Warren
Yeah, I have a few of those semi-finished models on and around my hobby desk.Right now I am working on an old Monogram Duesenberg, I got as a kid. Started working on it, almost the moment I got it, but had no chance of finishing it back then. It had been siting in it's box for more then 35 years, when I brought out Again.

Looking forward to seeing the beautiful Lola coming back to life.
warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, January 19, 2014 - 08:49 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hey Warren
Yeah, I have a few of those semi-finished models on and around my hobby desk.Right now I am working on an old Monogram Duesenberg, I got as a kid. Started working on it, almost the moment I got it, but had no chance of finishing it back then. It had been siting in it's box for more then 35 years, when I brought out Again.

Looking forward to seeing the beautiful Lola coming back to life.

35 years!! Wow, that is a real garage queen!!

I have been making a conscious effort over the past few months to finish off all my hanger and garage queens and this is the last one.

Would love to see some pictures of the Deusenberg.

Cheers
Warren
warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, January 22, 2014 - 08:24 PM UTC
No pictures today but the battle of the painting continues.

I was not happy with the finish of the blue so I stripped it from the front and rear body pieces and tried again with thinner paint. Am waiting for it to dry thoroughly before I touch it.

I didn't strip and paint the centre section as it would stuff up the rest of the car. Will give it a light sand tomorrow and another quick coat of Royal Blue.

After I have done that I will be painting them with Gloss Clear and we will see how they come out.

Then I will try the white decals provided by Tamiya to see how opaque they are.

Cheers
Warren
warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, January 24, 2014 - 07:40 PM UTC
Alright!! I finally got a good coat of royal blue on the nosecone, and it looks good with no clear!!

Now to wait and see what happens when it has dried..
warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, January 28, 2014 - 08:02 AM UTC
Got decent paint on. then went to try and install the front and rear of the bodyshell and it looks crap... The fit is woeful... So this Lola is going to thave the rear body part open and the front one off like they are servicing the car, it is really that bad...

This is one of Tamiya's crap cars thats for sure!! The only way you would be able to get a good fit of all the body parts would be to either glue them all together and plonk them on the chassis (goodbye detail under body, or build the complete chassis then place the middle part of the body on, after installing the doors, holding the front and rear parts to the middle part with tape and see if it all lines up.

I just love the shape of this car and will be on the look out for a more modern release with the PE parts included. There are lots of other colour scehemes beside the Royal Blue one...

Cheers
Warren
warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, January 28, 2014 - 09:16 PM UTC
More work done..

Nose cone with no decals as yet..

A headlight with its blinker in place..

Then I found that the radiator assembly was lose and I thought it may have been causing the poor fit of the bonnet..

I was wrong as after reattaching it in the correct position the nose still doesn't fit

Oh well. At least the wheels and engine look nice..

Even if the wheels look a little worn..

Cheers
Warren
Hwa-Rang
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 6,760 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,182 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 29, 2014 - 10:59 PM UTC
Lookin good Warren. Love those Weber's.
warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, January 30, 2014 - 07:10 AM UTC
Thanks Jesper!

I had Webers on one of my cars but they were not as good as they could have been for some reason. Went to Dellortos and they were great.

I am not sure of the accuracy of the white headers, I just love them!

Cheers
Warren
warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, February 04, 2014 - 09:39 PM UTC
Hi Everyone.

Fina;;y got around to putting some decals on the lovely Lola and was pleasantly surprised to find that the white is very opaque and you can't see the blue through it at all! Woohoo! When I build another one this won't be a problem anyway as the next one will be a white body with green details..

That's it for the moment. I have misplaced one of the flap windows but I can live with that. What I can't live with is the crap fit of all the body panels so this one is going to be displayed with everything open, the back and door held open with very high-tech wooden poles.. Probably what they used originally..

Cheers for now
Warren
 _GOTOTOP