_GOTOBOTTOM
Paint & Finish
For automotive paint and finishing topics.
Flip or pearlescent paint ??
epshifty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 376 posts
Auto Modeler: 11 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 29, 2014 - 11:28 AM UTC
Hi all .. this might be a sill question but can you get flip or pearlescent paint for models ??
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,953 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 29, 2014 - 12:45 PM UTC
I've seen some really nice finishes using cheap nail polish and lacquer thinner through an airbrush. The range of colours and finishes is huge and there are quite a few pearlescent options.

I haven't tried it yet myself but I have seen it done first hand and it is basically the same as using normal modelling paints, minimum 50% thinner though.

Hope this helps.

Cheers, D
smithrp
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 79 posts
Auto Modeler: 7 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 29, 2014 - 01:35 PM UTC
Hi: Yes - Nail polish is the way to go for custom paint on model cars. Thin it with Lacquer thinner to the consistency of milk. Some colors like white pearl will have to be base coated with white first. You can take any pearl color and lay it over a different color base to achieve various results.Your imagination will be the only holdback. Experiment. Nail polish is cheap. Just make sure your primer, and all paints that you use are lacquer. Do not spray lacquer nail polish over acrylic or enamels as the lacquer will eat the paint below. I suggest Duplicolor Lacquer spray bomb primer ( decanted and airbrushed ), Then a basecoat using Duplicolor, Tamiya, or ModelMaster thinned with lacquer thinner. Yes it works perfect. Let it dry over night then apply your nail polish.
HunterCottage
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,717 posts
Auto Modeler: 244 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 30, 2014 - 05:18 AM UTC
Model Masters have a few pearls and candies. Alclad has flip and candies. Vallejo has pearls, candies and metallics in their normal range and RC ranges. I've even used Tamiyas clears as candies, with okay results.

Have thought about Nail Polish, but might have to give that a whirl...
noddy927
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,273 posts
Auto Modeler: 207 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 20, 2014 - 08:41 AM UTC
I am doing a build at present and plan to use nail polish. I will post a few pics and let you know how it goes.

Pete
noddy927
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,273 posts
Auto Modeler: 207 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 23, 2014 - 11:10 PM UTC
I have had a pretty good outcome with the nail polish, however the pictures don't show it too well. The base was aclad black gloss, and then a pearl nail polish which was based on a turquoise and pink colour. The result was a green main colour flipping to a browny bronze. I was pretty impressed with the result. Make sure you get a base coat down, as it will melt the plastic, I tested it on a bit of sprue 1st lol. Hope this helps the question of flip paint.

Pics.

The build was a nightmare and I have given up on it, but I learned a new technic

Pete
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,953 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 24, 2014 - 12:21 AM UTC
Looks good Peter, nicely done!
noddy927
_VISITCOMMUNITY