_GOTOBOTTOM
Paint & Finish
For automotive paint and finishing topics.
Alternative for tamiya primer
Elyashiv
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Jerusalem, Israel
KitMaker: 3 posts
Auto Modeler: 3 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 20, 2014 - 08:14 PM UTC
Hey
I looking for good primer instead of the tamiya one...
I need primer that i can spray(i don't have airbrush) and good reaction for tamiya ts aprays
I thought about mr. Surfacer, its good for use with tamiya ts sprays?
Thanks
damoore46
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 107 posts
Auto Modeler: 49 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 22, 2014 - 07:01 AM UTC
Are you needing an Acryllic based primer only? I've used various automobile primers for years, but they are usually enamel or lacquer based. I don't know what you have available to you, but auto parts stores should carry something in spray cans.
Elyashiv
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Jerusalem, Israel
Posted: Tuesday, July 22, 2014 - 07:12 AM UTC
Mr surfacer is enamel or lacquer? I need it for tamiya ts sprays
lentorpe
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alava, Spain / España
KitMaker: 104 posts
Auto Modeler: 1 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 22, 2014 - 09:11 AM UTC
You can use Vallejo primer. There is a lot of colors to choose (black, white, rust red, OD, russian green, german yellow, etc). So it serves as a first colorcoat. It also has the advantage of being self-levelling, so you can apply it by brush. There will be no brush marks and it makes a very thin layer. It is not really acrylic but acryl-polyurethane, but it has very little odour.

It has its disadvantages, though:

1.- Never forget to shake it well before using.

2.- Minimum curing time is AT LEAST 24 hours, but it will be much better if you give it 2 or 3 days.

3.- It works fine when you are sure that the building phase is over and you won´t have to sand, file nor correct it any more; but this stuff creates a thin film, some kind of elastic skin, and if it is not PERFECTLY cured you can make small balls if you try to sand, file, etc.

My 2 cents.
Elyashiv
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Jerusalem, Israel
Posted: Tuesday, July 22, 2014 - 09:54 AM UTC
Thank you very much for the answers
Vallejo is too expensive to me... I had to buy it from eBay and its expensive, mr surfacer is one of the primers i can buy here and it's not expensive... So this is good primer for tamiya ts sprays?
Thanks again
 _GOTOTOP