Scale truck modeling topics.
Fruit Truck
MonroePerdu
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 115 posts
Auto Modeler: 6 posts
Posted: Monday, August 11, 2014 - 06:29 PM UTC

This was going to be a blog of sorts, with progress photos of the whole process but I didn't pay close attention to documenting things as I went. Instead, I hope to show the photos I did take along the way and talk about how I modified a diecast truck to create this vignette.
Mike
MonroePerdu
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, August 11, 2014 - 06:51 PM UTC
The first photo loaded okay so I think I can carry on.
The idea for this project came from a photo I took on my way to work one morning, I think in about 1993.

These kinds of trucks are a fairly common sight, part of the landscape almost, where I live, work and play in the Los Angeles area. This one caught my eye and I took the photo without knowing what I would use the image for. I ended up making a painting of it some years later but after that, it seemed like it would make a better model project.

Sometime after I made the painting, I happened to see a diecast truck identified as 1/35 scale in a K Mart and it was less than $10.00, so I bought it. I thought I could make the vignette using the truck if it was modified a bit but like most projects, it sat for at least 10 years before I decided I was going to attempt the project, or throw the truck out.

I tried looking for a similar one on eBay so I could show a better photo of it before I cut it apart. I only found one like it, painted in different colors, so I hope I didn't ruin a collectable truck.

Here's a photo of the truck after I cut and sectioned out the rear end.

It was a PEPSI truck and it had the proportions closer to this truck-

But I didn't like the colors of that truck. So I combined the photo reference with the larger truck for the project.

I should mention that I haven't really made a model car/truck since I was a teenager and after being involved in the military modeling part of this hobby for so many years, it was both liberating and intimidating.

It was fun to give myself permission to make up details that didn't have to meet published research. That's what the guys with these real trucks do.

Back to the process...
I was afraid to cut the back of the metal body apart because I didn't know if I could do it cleanly. My office has a large bandsaw that I could use to make the cut but worse than making a wobbly cut, I was afraid I might damage or break the blade. Once I finally decided to risk it, the cut went perfectly and the bandsaw survived.

After that, it was no pressure to make any other modifications I thought were needed.

I'll continue this in another post so I can see if the photos are showing up.
Mike
MonroePerdu
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, August 11, 2014 - 07:25 PM UTC
Here's the truck at the next point that I thought to take a photo.

I stripped off all of the paint and had to file down a horizontal rib on both doors. I ruined the rims when I tried to remove the chrome plating with brake cleaner.
That mistake wasn't too upsetting because I really didn't like the look of them. I wanted the tires to look closer to my photo reference. I was lucky and found some resin cast Kubelwagen tires that had rims closer to what I needed. I cut away the tires and only had to add a laser cut thin ring to make them sit correctly in the tires.

I didn't use the front bumper and replaced it with a scratch built brush guard looking thing. I thought it looked more interesting.

I masked the truck and sprayed white primer aerosol for the base color.

Then I added the red with an airbrush.

It came out pretty clean.

Then I weathered it using oils. That was an experiment for me because I have been using acrylics on most of my projects for years now.

After the truck was detailed to a certain point, I decided to make the base. I found some scrap foam that I could glue to a wooden plaque and shaped it to look like my idea of a corner of a parking lot in a strip mall.

I laser etched the sidewalk textures on paper and here it is with some paint.

That's as far as I got with documenting the process, so here are some photos of the finished vignette.

I made the light pole work. The batteries are in the truck and the on/off switch is one of the yellow poles. I didn't take photos of it working because it's kind of dim and doesn't seem to add that much to the overall look.

These images give a good idea of the overall scene. The palm trees are from the model train store. The weeds, wooden pallette, flags, side mirrors, license plates and sign on top of the truck are all laser cut.

I'm not sure what else I can describe but I can answer any questions anyone has. I will say that the diecast truck as a starting point was a big help. It's not something I would want to entirely make from scratch and the level of detail was certainly good enough for me to use with certain additions that moved along quickly.
Mike
justsendit
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,033 posts
Auto Modeler: 64 posts
Posted: Monday, August 11, 2014 - 08:29 PM UTC
Cool, Mike!

Reminds me ... I should eat healthier!

--mike
jimb
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,539 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,405 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 12, 2014 - 01:38 AM UTC
Great conversion. I really like the sceen. Interesting billboard in the background.

Jim
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,216 posts
Auto Modeler: 522 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 12, 2014 - 11:06 AM UTC
Not only is it a nice looking finished model, but I like the fact that it's unusual. I can't think of anyone else that would choose to model a fruit truck. Really, really nice.
Hwa-Rang
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 6,760 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,182 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 13, 2014 - 12:19 AM UTC
Superb piece of work michael.
MonroePerdu
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, August 13, 2014 - 03:42 PM UTC
Thanks for the nice comments guys. I can say that I recommend building a fruit truck. I never wanted to make a "Mad Max" type car, or a "technical" truck from the mideast conflicts but this project let me make up some details and dirty it up a bit.

Motor Mint sells a lot of diecast cars and has some pretty good deals on some of them. Diecast is a good starting point for someone like me who doesn't really enjoy assembling model kits.
Mike
c5flies
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 3,684 posts
Auto Modeler: 294 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 14, 2014 - 12:40 PM UTC
Excellent work Mike, and nice progress shots. A very colorful and unique subject that shows a lot of different skills. Again, great job!

Hey, are those my initials on the rear?
MonroePerdu
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, August 15, 2014 - 09:18 AM UTC
Yes they are...if your initials are JB...
 _GOTOTOP