_GOTOBOTTOM
Cars
Discuss all types of automotive modeling here.
Tamiya McLaren MP4/4 w/ Top Studio Detail Up
foenetik
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Rhode Island, United States
KitMaker: 52 posts
Auto Modeler: 48 posts
Posted: Monday, September 29, 2014 - 05:14 PM UTC
So, this was the 2nd model i attempted after a 15 year break. I am a sucker for details and since modeling has advanced so much since i was a kid, i decided that trying a top studio kit right away would be a good way to introduce myself to a lot of aspects of modeling that ive never seen/tried before (like photo etch, mini parts, resin) as well as a great way to elevate my stress levels to hair pulling and swearing. I was sucessfull on all fronts.

It was my first resin kit, but if you are into F1, or motorcycles i definitely recommend a Top Studio kit. Not only are they well made (no bubbles i could see, and minimal flash, excellent instructions), they come with everything you need to complete the kit. Its nice one stop shopping. Its not an easy kit, and as youll see, i had some issues cause of my inexperience (i didnt line things up like i should have (dryfitting sub assemblies, i only dryfitted individual parts), but overall i happy with it. And before anyone complains, i know these cars and their garages are kept in meticulous condition. I wanted to do something different that stood out though. So i went for a right after the race look.

Outside of the Top studio kit, the other custom stuff is as follows:

Hiroboy Tool set:
its all PE and its really well made, especially for the price. It was about 20 shipped and comes with quite a few tools and 3 tool chests. Its quite detailed. For example, the wire cutters even have angled cutters like the real thing. Its not just all flat.

Floor is actual garage floor tiles cut to scale. My dad had some extra so i used those. The reason they arent perfectly square is because they were actually pretty brittle, i thought they would be like linoleum but they wernt so they were REALLY hard to cut straight. but im still happy and they convey the effect.

Weathering was the usual oil washes, Ammo fuel and oil stains, and some light chipping with paint. tamiya paints mostly, and alclad for the chrome stuff.

body stands were scratch built from brass rodd and styrene. the work matt was also scratch built.

I think that about covers it. The pics dont really do it justice, theres so many details its hard to photo but i did my best. I hope you enjoy it. I did.

Hwa-Rang
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 6,760 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,182 posts
Posted: Monday, September 29, 2014 - 10:08 PM UTC
Looks amazing Anthony. Lots of great details.
What scale is this?
jimb
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,539 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,405 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 30, 2014 - 12:09 AM UTC
That's awesome! Fantastic details.

Jim
foenetik
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, September 30, 2014 - 01:24 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Looks amazing Anthony. Lots of great details.
What scale is this?

Thank you!

1/20
foenetik
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, September 30, 2014 - 01:24 AM UTC

Quoted Text

That's awesome! Fantastic details.

Jim

Thank you, much appreciated!
c5flies
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 3,684 posts
Auto Modeler: 294 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 30, 2014 - 01:46 AM UTC
Wow, that is stunning! Your attention to details is amazing, Anthony, beautiful work. Nice to see it in the post race tear down. What's next?
foenetik
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, September 30, 2014 - 02:07 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Wow, that is stunning! Your attention to details is amazing, Anthony, beautiful work. Nice to see it in the post race tear down. What's next?

Thanks for the compliment!

im currently working on a soviet s65 tractor thats abandoned. but as far as civilian stuff goes. i have a Yamaha YZR-M1 Tamiya kit with the top studio detail kit, chain kit, and tamiya alum forks. I cannot wait to get it started after this tractor. going to be so fun. not quite as fiddly as the f1 but still lots of detail.
foenetik
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, October 01, 2014 - 09:53 PM UTC
actually, my next model just changed! I got the new Tamiya Fairlady Z 1/12 Kit in yesterday. Im going to be doing a Build and review on this amazing kit for AutoModeler. Its HUGE. I simply cannot wait to get started. One of my coworkers has one (just not the racing version) and it looks very similar so im going to model it after his car. I have 100's of reference pics. Im going to make it look driven, but still clean. Build thread to follow shortly.
Szmann
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Netherlands Antilles
KitMaker: 1,977 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,371 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 01, 2014 - 11:35 PM UTC
Excellent detailing. Well, the floor tiles could have been arranged with some putty or you could do it the easy way: paint them on a flat surface. Don't mind me for being grumpy, it's my age. The main thing is: awesome work with the car. Congrats.
foenetik
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, October 02, 2014 - 12:17 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Excellent detailing. Well, the floor tiles could have been arranged with some putty or you could do it the easy way: paint them on a flat surface. Don't mind me for being grumpy, it's my age. The main thing is: awesome work with the car. Congrats.

no worries, i completely agree they could be better. next time for sure.

thanks for the compliment and crit.
 _GOTOTOP