Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
Auto Modeler: 388 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 14, 2015 - 01:06 AM UTC
Hi there

Bought to help my LHS shift their remaining stock as they close down, I don't know if this counts as a busman's holiday or a biker's vacation - but it'll certainly make a change from my usual modelling diet of all aircraft-related items!

I'm not promising a quick build - anyone who knows my reputation on Aeroscale can confirm how easily (and often...) my builds stall in the face of incoming samples - but a complete change of subject will do me no harm at all!

A brief inspection of the contents shows it's produced to Tamiya's usual high standards, so it should build beautifully - but building "showroom clean" will be a fresh challenge all of its own for me. I don't think we've reviewed this one yet(?), so I'll shoot sprue photos before diving in - but mine will be very much a layman's OOB approach to this genre (to be honest, I'd never even heard of this particular motorcycle before buying the kit! ).

All the best

Rowan
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, February 19, 2015 - 03:05 AM UTC
Hi again

Staff_Jim quoted me a great line from Churchill this morning: "When you're going through hell, keep going!". It's certainly felt like that this week with the loss of my Mum, so it'll be a real relief to find a little sanity at the workbench!

If my original intention was for simply a change of subject matter from my usual aircraft builds to refresh my "modelling palate", I think a relaxing build (which should (touch wood!) be the case with Tamiya...) will be all the more welcome now.

So... I finally shot some sprue shots today ready for a review at some point. Doing so confirmed just how beautifully this beast is moulded (I think I may well go and buy the other Tamiya motorcycle kit left on the shelf in my LHS if it's still there!), and I'm looking forward to making a start very soon.

All the best

Rowan
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, February 20, 2015 - 12:26 AM UTC

Quoted Text

...I think I may well go and buy the other Tamiya motorcycle kit left on the shelf in my LHS if it's still there...

Hi again

I was in luck.

It turned out to be the inspiration for the X-1 - the Suzuki Hayabusa. But that's enough distractions - I'll try to make a start on the X-1 this weekend.

All the best

Rowan
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,953 posts
Posted: Friday, February 20, 2015 - 02:09 AM UTC
I'm looking forward to following your builds here Rowan, I really hope that they will help bring you some distraction and relief from the personal sorrow.

I must admit though, I did somewhat of a double-take when I saw your name on the thread ! Quite a departure from your usual fare.

Crack on mate, enjoy.

Cheers, D
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, February 20, 2015 - 02:55 PM UTC
Many thanks Damian

I think the change would do me good at any time - more so than ever just now. I'll try to make a start this evening.

All the best

Rowan
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, February 24, 2015 - 03:19 AM UTC
Hi again

Sorry - I've fallen totally flat in my plan to get started! Just too much to sort out at home. I'm looking forward to a day when all the horrible official stuff is sorted and behind me and I can just relax and chill-out at the workbench... I was totally naive before - realistically, I reckon it could be a week or so before there's any proper progress.

All the best

Rowan
RiccardoB
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Canada
KitMaker: 6 posts
Auto Modeler: 4 posts
Posted: Friday, February 27, 2015 - 11:24 AM UTC
Hi Rowan, I'm sorry for your loss! Take your time with official paperwork and to recover...then I'm sure time at the workbench will help!
tinbanger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,507 posts
Auto Modeler: 409 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 28, 2015 - 01:52 AM UTC
Hi Rowan!
Welcome to the other/other dark side of modeling!
 _GOTOTOP