Scale motorcycle modeling topics.
Spoke Wheels:
gawrycht
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 14 posts
Auto Modeler: 2 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 10, 2015 - 12:04 AM UTC
I am currently working on a 1/48th scale CHP bike (the one that came with the Hughes helicopter as a boxed set) and would like to get, or make, something a little more realistic for that scale that what came with the bike. I read something ... a long time ago ... about someone making their own spoked wheels for motorcycles and cars but can't remember where I saw that.

Anyone out here that has made their own and can share the technique?
Hohenstaufen
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,192 posts
Auto Modeler: 29 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 14, 2015 - 01:12 AM UTC
I can't really advise you fully Tom. But some years ago I saw some old Gunze Sanyo kits (IIRC) of British subjects - very rare. There was a Gold Star BSA which was half assembled, and the wheels appeared to be built up from lengths of wire which located in holes in the rim and hub, in something approaching prototypical fashion. You would have to use the kit wheels to give you the spoking pattern, then trim them out, drill the holes and add the wire, then snip the ends to suit.
It might be worth looking for a classic bike magazine or book which covers wheelbuilding for a guide.
kpnuts
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,179 posts
Auto Modeler: 647 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 14, 2015 - 11:12 AM UTC
Hi I built wire wheels for the 1/12 Airfix bentley there were 5 of them and to be honest I don't think the difference it made was worth the effort there is I discovered after I made mine a good tutorial for making them from scratch over on Britmodeller.com forum. I used the hubs and rims of the kit wheels but his method is completely scratch built.
18Bravo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Auto Modeler: 16 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 17, 2015 - 01:31 AM UTC
I've seen it done using kit hubs and wheels. The wire used was fuse wire. I don't think I have the patience for that any more. As an alternative you could look for PE spokes that might work for your scale. 1/32 WWII airplane spokes might work for 1/48 motorcycle wheels.
Of course, you could try your hand at making your own PE...
Carol81
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Gelderland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 41 posts
Auto Modeler: 1 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 17, 2015 - 02:16 AM UTC
You could try these : http://www.hauler.cz/e-shop/1-48-afv-photoetched-parts-8/german-motorcycle-sidecar-(tamiya)-1108
18Bravo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Auto Modeler: 16 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 17, 2015 - 02:47 AM UTC
Ah, well there you go. I didn't even know Tamiya did a motorcycle in 1/48. The miracle of the internet
gawrycht
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 14 posts
Auto Modeler: 2 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 21, 2015 - 06:45 PM UTC
Wow. I am definitely not in the loop on the new kits these days! This will probably be exactly what I need to save me hours of frustration ... and close enough in 1/48 scale to not notice much difference. Thanks!
krow113
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 473 posts
Auto Modeler: 257 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 21, 2015 - 10:01 PM UTC
1/48 prolly too small for lacing as per a real wheel.Good luck on this and post your outcome if possible.
Thank you ,Steve
 _GOTOTOP