_GOTOBOTTOM
Cars
Discuss all types of automotive modeling here.
Sebring Convertible (Out of Box)
Mechworker
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 352 posts
Auto Modeler: 135 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 05, 2015 - 05:43 AM UTC
I really would rather build a model of a car that I used to see driving all over the place than a model of some supercar I’ll never have a chance of owning. That’s why I gravitate to the “loser” and “everyday” car kits. In the ‘80s there was a chance to actually get kits of everyday cars, but as time went on, it got harder and harder. By the mid-1990s, there were hardly any kits of common cars.

That’s what makes the Lindberg 1996 Sebring Convertible so awesome! Not only do I remember lots of them around, but I also still see some come the summer time! I know Lindberg was also responsible for the promos for the Sebring, so it’s no surprise they’d spin it into a kit. However, I was expecting something like their Caravan kit, not something as deluxe as the Sebring turned out to be!

To see what I’m talking about, and take a gander at what might be one of the last “everyday car kits” of the 1990s, check out my out of box review of this kit below!

https://adamrehorn.wordpress.com/model-kits/out-of-box-reviews/lindberg-125-1996-sebring-convertible-oob/

windysean
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 1,917 posts
Auto Modeler: 268 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 05, 2015 - 07:33 PM UTC
You're exactly right. My son and I have this discussion often. When he was younger, we'd scour the Hot Wheels and Matchbox section for everyday cars, and avoid the ridiculous. Likewise, looking for model kits, we find the ones that can be built stock. Like you said-- these are attainable dreams that we may own someday.
I'm about to set out on the Chevy half of my entries in the Chevy vs. Hemi group build, and I bought a Bel Air kit with a stock car racer version on the box art. He's used to seeing me make sci-fi or one-off modifications to many of my group build kits, so he was very pleased to know that I'll be making this one the beauty that Chevrolet intended (if the build goes right! ).
Cheers!
-Sean H.
Mechworker
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Friday, November 06, 2015 - 10:08 PM UTC
My Uncle and Brother are the same with HotWheels and Matchboxes, so I know exactly what you mean. I usually go for anything fat, short or weird, because I don't build that.

Props to you and your son for keeping the "attainable dream" (I like that turn of phrase!) alive. It's fun to build anything, but I find it very invigorating to build something I've owned, seen or want to own.

Good luck on the Chev!
jimb
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,539 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,405 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 07, 2015 - 03:12 AM UTC
I didn't even know a kit of this car existed. My company rented me one of these when I was in Miami, FL, for business back in 2004 (ok, so it probably wasn't a 1996). Nice car, but very loud in the rain.

Jim
Mechworker
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Saturday, January 30, 2016 - 06:34 PM UTC
When I test drove one of these, I found it was a bit noisy (although I do expect that in a convertible) but I must admit it did feel more solid that most other Chryslers I drove.

I can only imagine it in the rain: it would be like driving inside a drum in a marching band!
jimb
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,539 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,405 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 03, 2016 - 02:04 AM UTC
Adam, it was a good South Florida Summer thunderstorm. It was VERY loud in the car. The inside of a drum is a good analogy.

Jim
 _GOTOTOP