_GOTOBOTTOM
Paint & Finish
For automotive paint and finishing topics.
Chrome and other metal surfaces
Flinx1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 4 posts
Auto Modeler: 3 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 13, 2015 - 02:27 AM UTC
I have seen a dead thread from 2011 about the same topic, so I think, I can create a new one.

Hello, for a long time I'm looking for a paint making a close-to-reality chrome surface (for kits of civil vehicles).
For example for my 1/25 Italieri Bugatti Royale Coupé Napoléon, my 1/32 Lindberg Ford-A Pick Up, my 1/24 Revell Peterbilt Canadian Hauler or my 1/35 ICM Opel Kapitän Saloon Staff Car and so on.
In the first row for repairing the chrome damaged by cutting parts from the sprues, or correcting the size of parts to fit them to their places and in the second row, to MAKE chrome at parts, the manufacturer has "forgotten" the chrome-coating (like at the ICM Opel).

But I'm also looking for other metal surfaces like heated or burned iron (cast iron of engine blocks, stainless steel of exhaust pipe-samplers, jet-outtakes and so on).
Brass, gold, silver or aluminium are also welcome.

BUT I'm NOT looking fo any stuff, polishing is needed!
(How to polish the structured tail-fin of a '55 Chevy Bel Air without damaging the knurls? ?

Thank you in advance,

Norbert
Szmann
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Netherlands Antilles
KitMaker: 1,977 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,371 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 13, 2015 - 08:57 AM UTC
Hi, Norbert. I've got good results using Alclad for chrome. But you have to stick with the instructions: black smooth undercoat, low pressure, one application. Not working with a brush. I've seen on YT a Tamyia hot metal weathering set, the one similar to a make-up set. Quite nice the demo. Unfortunately, I cannot remember the title of it.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,
Gabriel.
Hwa-Rang
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 6,760 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,182 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 13, 2015 - 01:45 PM UTC
Hi Norbert

As Gabriel mentions Alclad is a posibility. Alclad has a variaty of metal effect worth checking out.

Ak-interactive has also a large range of metal effects. Some can be seen here.
http://ak-interactive.com/v2/?page_id=23406

I don't think any of these products brush on well, so they are for a complete repaint, not fixing the chipped chrome.
I usually use a fine point brush and gloss black paint, for repairing chipped chrome.
Flinx1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, December 14, 2015 - 03:42 AM UTC
Thank you Gabriel and Jesper, I've heard of Alclad but when I've seen some photographs of Alclad-coated parts, I'm not really satisfied by the result.

Gabriel: "not working with a brush", so you need an airbrush? O.k., this won't be a problem, because I own an airbrush.

Jesper: I've also heard of AK-metal-coatings, but never seen an example.

Has anyone experienced the metal surfaces of "Uschi van der Rosten"?
(But, if I'm not mistaken, it must be polished? If a polish is forced, how much pressure is needed?)
I'm not stricktely against polishing, but I'm anxious.

Norbert
Flinx1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, January 01, 2016 - 10:27 PM UTC
No other answer?
krow113
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 473 posts
Auto Modeler: 257 posts
Posted: Friday, January 01, 2016 - 11:05 PM UTC
Get some Alclad and get on with it. At some point you will have to try some kind of procedure to get your metal finish.Check out my Harley Hillclimber thread to see some metal finish's.
 _GOTOTOP