_GOTOBOTTOM
Cars
Discuss all types of automotive modeling here.
Buicks For Dad
Stickframe
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,661 posts
Auto Modeler: 431 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 22, 2015 - 01:42 AM UTC
Hello fellow model builders -

As holidays are rapidly approaching, I needed to get building! My dad, politely stated, is a Buick, uhh, nut.

He loves almost all Buick's but is partial to those built form the late 40's until about 1970. He still knows all things Buick, but remains partial to this vintage.

As he's now retired, and no longer has one of the full size classics, he does keep up his own old car barn. This was once a garden shed, but is no more! It now has new siding, paint, floor, windows, and roof, and the interior is sheet rocked and has lighting - in it he keeps a very big collection of model cars spanning from the mid 50's (which he collected as a kid) through today.

For Christmas, I'm going to give him a couple more - a '66 Wildcat and a '69 Riviera. The Riviera is his favorite between '63-'69 and he has several models in many scales of these. Not the Wildcat though -

These are repackaged ERTL models by AMT. The parts are fairly nice, but the fit is not as tight as it could be, and the chrome is prone to flaking off....

Please take a look:

These were both painted with Vallejo Acrylics - the Riv is several layers of Gunmetal, while the Wildcat is a blend of US Interior Yellow, Ivory, white, and silver. No, I'll never match the color! The Gunmetal was not at all forgiving, and the blend was more so....

Of the two, I think I like the paint on the Wildcat more. As I said above, it was tough getting the gunmetal to look right/uniform. I did have better success than I expected with the Riv taillights. I blended Ammo by Mig transparent red with Vallejo Ferrari red and came up with nice results - on to the Riv:

And, for scale, the Wildcat and Chevy truck - you can see here how big the Chevy 37" tires look, and how long the Wildcat is!

Ok, thanks for having a look -

Cheers

Nick
windysean
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 1,917 posts
Auto Modeler: 268 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 22, 2015 - 03:26 AM UTC
Those turned out great! I'm sure they'll make nice additions to your dad's collection.
My late grandfather loved a 225 he owned. Is that a version of the Electra? To my recollection they look similar.
Thanks for posting these awesome models.
-Sean H.
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,953 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 22, 2015 - 03:33 AM UTC
Great builds, really nice work, and a great back story as well.

You should post up a couple of pics of your fathers collection if you get a chance.

Cheers, D
Szmann
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Netherlands Antilles
KitMaker: 1,977 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,371 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 23, 2015 - 08:46 PM UTC
Man, your Dad got to be happy! The dark yellow one has a very interesting and unique color. Loved it.

Cheers!
Gabriel
tinbanger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,507 posts
Auto Modeler: 409 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 23, 2015 - 11:44 PM UTC
Great Builds!
matt
Staff MemberGroup Build Administrator
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 5,957 posts
Auto Modeler: 160 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 23, 2015 - 11:57 PM UTC
Nick,

Those are awesome! I hope your dad loves them!!!
Stickframe
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,661 posts
Auto Modeler: 431 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 02, 2016 - 12:05 AM UTC
Hi fellow model builders -

First, I hope you all enjoyed the holidays and happy new year!

Glad you liked dad's cars - I ran up there and dropped them off, and are now safely in the old car barn!

Sean - yes, I asked about the 225. My grandfather had one too! According to dad they started as the Buick flagship in 1959, at 225" long! Lasted into the mid 80's before being replaced by the Park Avenue.

Gabriel, thanks - that color was my attempt to match a Buick original - and there you have it!

On to dad's old car barn...

This sums up the previous problem:

yeah...Mom doesn't like old car stuff much. So, dad was limited to his library...no bueno.

I have a friend who's a carpenter - with some extra windows etc, and we worked out a deal - and the "old car barn" was born:

And dad now has a more dignified place to sit and look at and fool around with old car stuff!

Thanks for having a look!

Happy model building!
 _GOTOTOP