_GOTOBOTTOM
Cars
Discuss all types of automotive modeling here.
Two more Buick's for Dad
Stickframe
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,661 posts
Auto Modeler: 431 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 21, 2016 - 10:55 PM UTC
Hello fellow model builders.

You might remember around the holidays, I built a couple of 1/25 model Buicks for my dad - he is, after all, a Buick, uhh, enthusiast - to say the least. I left his place with two kits as well - that had been sitting on his shelf for a while - a Regal, and a Riviera. I did build them, and they will be in the mail some time soon.

As the sun was setting yesterday, I ran out to get some pictures - please take a look:

You can see, one is 1/25 the other 1/24...hard to believe such a big difference - and, the Riviera has a "fancy" air dam up front - no more! it looks ridiculous, so I have since torn it off - ok, on we go:

The upside, wow - nice color! down, side, every single flaw jumps out! I have since cut the little glue nugget off of the fender/front corner....

So, my dad already owns many models of stock Buick Rivieras - he prefers them stock....well, I decided he might like some color on his model shelf other than Buick silver...

In addition to fixing my bad "ground effects", this car has received chrome trim where appropriate (painted on), tail lights painted, and a good polishing.

Now, they're off to enjoy the good life, with dad!

Thanks for having a look

Nick
Hwa-Rang
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 6,760 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,182 posts
Posted: Monday, February 22, 2016 - 11:44 AM UTC
Very nice builds. I'm sure your dad will love them.

Always loved the Riviera, the '65 in particular.
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,953 posts
Posted: Monday, February 22, 2016 - 12:38 PM UTC
Lovely work Nick, they look great!

Cheers, D
Stickframe
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,661 posts
Auto Modeler: 431 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 23, 2016 - 08:35 AM UTC
Hi Jesper, well, you and my dad (and me!) are partial to the '65. It really is a beautiful car - really '63-'65, but they were all nice. Thanks for the nice words.

Hi Damian, thanks! It was fun doing this build.

Now, if you don't mind, I'll try to reestablish my credibility as a model builder. I took these pics because it was the last light of the day, but the '65 wasn't done yet. First, I did remove the awful front air dam - bad idea by me. Next, I attached the mirrors. I also painted on necessary chrome trim and the tail lights. Finally, I polished it to a nice shine! Ok, I feel better now...

Thanks for checking it out and happy model building
Nick
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,974 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 08, 2016 - 06:47 AM UTC
Nick,
Very nicely done. I'm sure that your dad will love both of them.

My dad was a Ford man, so I could never understand how he let my brother and I for our HS graduation buy a 65 Pontiac LeMans, which was a gift from our Grandfather who past away several years earlier.

Joel
 _GOTOTOP