_GOTOBOTTOM
Cars
Discuss all types of automotive modeling here.
Gold Rush - the Ultimate in Vannin'!
Mechworker
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 352 posts
Auto Modeler: 135 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 24, 2016 - 02:41 AM UTC
By now, I’m sure anyone who knows me realizes that I do have a soft spot for MPC kits. The good folks at MPC seem to have been on the same wavelength as me when it comes to what makes a great car kit. Good interior detail, bizarre subject matter and a heaping helping of ‘zeitgeist’ are all essential.

They must also have known that I LOVE street vans, since they made a bus-tonne of them back in the day. Mind you, there were a lot of the real things back then too! More than any other maker, I think, MPC really seemed to embrace Vannin’, and that means there are a lot of good (well, interesting, at least) van kits out there.

Recently, Round 2 reissued one: Bad Company. This was the 1982 annual of the mid-‘70s Dodge van. However, there were many other Dodge street vans before Bad Company. One of the rarer ones seems to be Gold Rush, a completely crazy custom van that could only have arisen from MPC in the ‘70s. My brother managed to snag me a copy, and I present to you an out of box review for this wild roller at the link below.

For whatever reason, I don’t seem to be able to find many other reviews of this thing, so maybe it’s been forgotten? Well, I couldn’t let that stand! Check it out, and rest assured, THIS THING WILL GET BUILT!!

[u]https://adamrehorn.wordpress.com/model-kits/out-of-box-reviews/mpc-124-gold-rush-custom-dodge-van-oob/[/u]

AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,953 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 24, 2016 - 03:04 AM UTC
Adam, your review is about as subtle as that van mate!

Another great read, and another build that I will be following closely. Brilliant stuff, can't wait to see what you do with this one.

Cheers, D
Mechworker
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 352 posts
Auto Modeler: 135 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 24, 2016 - 04:41 AM UTC
Thanks Reg!

Yeah, I must admit, I think I must have picked up something from the van. You know what happens when I get really into a subject!

This should be a blast. I love doing custom vans, and this one looks like it needs a bit of love. And putty. Probably lots of both, actually!
Hwa-Rang
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 6,760 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,182 posts
Posted: Monday, March 28, 2016 - 11:15 AM UTC
Another wonderful and intertaining review Adam. Thanks for sharing.
 _GOTOTOP