_GOTOBOTTOM
Cars
Discuss all types of automotive modeling here.
MPC's Pony Express Pinto - Resurrected!
Mechworker
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 352 posts
Auto Modeler: 135 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 16, 2016 - 06:42 AM UTC
There are dreams, and then there are pipe dreams. For a person who, like me, loves to build loser cars and their overwrought “performance” versions (like Citation X11s and sporty Cavliers), there’s always been a desire to own a kit of a Pinto. Unfortunatley, stock Pinto kits are rare and expensive beasts.

When it comes to pipe dreams, Ford’s attempts to create a sporty, “Vannin’” Pinto with the Cruising Wagon is perhaps one of the ultimate insults to legitimate performance cars ever created. Sadly, kits of this wild (and cynical) attempt at automotive excitement are among the rarest of all. Only MPC made one, and the wild custom “Pony Express” has long disappeared from any affordable price range.

Imagine my excitement when I heard Round 2 was bringing it back! Imagine my greater excitement when I found one at a local shop last weekend!

For all those who love the ridiculous and bizarre, this is definitely a kit for you! Check out my out of box review for the newly resurrected Pony Express, and get ready to relive just how bad motoring got!

https://adamrehorn.wordpress.com/model-kits/out-of-box-reviews/round-2-mpc-125-1980-pinto-cruising-wagon-pony-express-oob/

Hwa-Rang
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 6,760 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,182 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 16, 2016 - 10:52 AM UTC
I saw this one, a few days ago, at Modelroundup's website. My first thought was "Adam will review this one soon"
Mechworker
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Friday, June 17, 2016 - 06:29 AM UTC
Now WHY would you ever think that? I mean, you make it sound like I'll but just ANY savagely horrible loser car.

Oh... wait... I see where you got that idea!

It's all typical MPC, good and bad. I think this is going to be a great kit and I hope that a bunch start showing up on model show tables across the country.

Time for the Loser Car Revolution!
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,953 posts
Posted: Friday, June 17, 2016 - 08:10 AM UTC
Awesome, another legendary build in the queue.

Cheers, D
Mechworker
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Friday, June 17, 2016 - 04:29 PM UTC
I think that the Volare is due out somtime too.

What a great time to be a modeller of loser cars. I wasn't a modeller when these were around the first time (I only started modelling in my teenage years, and these kits were gone by then), so getting them now is fantastic!

There are too many awesome losers, almost: I want to build them all at once!
jimb
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,539 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,405 posts
Posted: Friday, June 17, 2016 - 08:02 PM UTC
Sounds like a possible Group Build to me!

When we lived in Miami, FL, my Dad owned a 1976 (I think) Ford Pinto station wagon. He used it to haul around all of is farrier tools.

Jim
 _GOTOTOP