_GOTOBOTTOM
Trucks
Scale truck modeling topics.
Gold Rush - MPC's crazy custom van: FINISHED!
Mechworker
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 352 posts
Auto Modeler: 135 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 28, 2016 - 02:56 AM UTC
You know that old saying that “Nothing worthwhile comes easily”? Well, I guess it’s true, because I consider MPC kits to be a fun and worthwhile use of time, but man, the sure can be a pain in the posterior. The particular kit I’m referring to in this case is the Gold Rush Show Van!

Yes, I finally got it done, but it didn’t come easy. That having been said, it certainly looks like the wild vannin’ creations I remember seeing around in my younger days, and having one on display is pretty darn exciting, especially if you love vans or MPC’s crazy over-the-top customs!

Check out this fat-wheeled shingle-and-Naugahyde-sporting monster at the link below. Let me know what you think and if anyone else has built this thing, let me know how yours went together!

https://adamrehorn.wordpress.com/model-kits/mpc-125-gold-rush-custom-showstreet-van/

jimb
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,539 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,405 posts
Posted: Friday, July 29, 2016 - 04:26 AM UTC
Nice looking build, Adam, Well done.

Jim
Hwa-Rang
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 6,760 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,182 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 30, 2016 - 09:23 PM UTC
Wow what a rush. My favorit 'over the top out of place custom detail' must be the carriage lights.

So what gorgeous MPC over the top model will be next? The Pinto wagon "Pony express" or the Fuzz Duster ?
Mechworker
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Sunday, July 31, 2016 - 04:53 PM UTC
I know... the carriage lights are just all kinds of "WTF???" rolled into one!

I was thinking of bustin' out my Pony Express, and I was also toying with the D-50 I have. However, I don't yet have a Fuzz Duster! Is it out? Man... gotta keep my eyes out for that one, for sure.

To be honest, I've fallen in love with the Lindberg 1/20 Stealth. Just such a nice, solid (and BIG) kit. I had the Monogram 1/24 (or 1/25?) but couldn't resist the Lindy. Just think; wheat beige with a tan interior. How sleeper is that?

That could be the next car, actually, unless something else shiny or weird comes my way in the meantime!
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,953 posts
Posted: Monday, August 01, 2016 - 02:51 AM UTC
Awesome job Adam, just gotta love the madness going on all 'round this rig!

Cheers, D
Scarred
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,792 posts
Auto Modeler: 52 posts
Posted: Monday, August 01, 2016 - 09:19 AM UTC
I'm having a flashback! Built that kit when I was in high school. I built several MPC, AMT and Monogram custom vans, it was amazing what people put in those vans back then. Not just models but in real life. We had one that was kind of plain. Just 4 naugahyde captains chairs, a crushed velvet back bench seat that became a bed, built-in overhead cabinets and rust colored shag carpet, round port hole windows. All those poor naugas, slaughtered to make tasteless furniture. I was so glad when the 70's were over and good taste asserted itself.
Hwa-Rang
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 6,760 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,182 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 02, 2016 - 12:31 PM UTC
Isn't the Stealth a bit to normal

The Fuzz Duster is out now.
Mechworker
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, August 03, 2016 - 01:47 AM UTC
I know what you're thinking about the Stealth, but I do like normal cars too. I have numerous Trans Ams, as well as some Mustangs and even a Camaro! Besides, a Stealth is more abnormal when you consider that it's a twin turbo in the metallic tan with tan interior. They only made 40 of 'em, so at least I'm going for the maximum weirdness in the normal line, right?

Must. Get. Fuzz Duster.

I'll have to fight my brother for it, I think...
 _GOTOTOP