_GOTOBOTTOM
The Garage
For general automotive modeling or non-modeling topics.
My 1/1 scale musclecar project
Hwa-Rang
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 6,760 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,182 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 20, 2016 - 01:28 PM UTC
Hello all

Well now the wife have gotten a new kitchen, it's time for me to fulfill a dream, I have had since childhood. Owning a real live 1/1 scale classic US car
You know I'm a Mopar guy, but Mopars are so expensive and only a few come up for sale. For a while I have been looking and so far two candidates, within my budget, have come up. First one was this 1973 Pontiac Formula 400

The original engine have been replaced with a 1970 400 cui. Plenty of HP there. The interior is in great condition, but the exterior is not that great. As you can see in the image, there is some damage on the front left side. Other images sugest it is more than just a dent and scratches. It looks as if the entire front have been pushed slightly towards the right side of the car. Had a talk with the dealership. He bought the car for him self 7 years ago, but never got around to fixing up the car. He then put it up for sale(At least 3 years ago, to my knowledge).
He claims it is a minor scratch easily fixed. He then said the entire car is in need of a new coat of paint. It is the original paint and it is flat, scratched and cracked.
Well, it is an attractive car and the price is fairly attractive. Some questions do make it look less attractive.
How damaged is the front actually?
How many miles are there on the 1970 engine?
Why has an attractive car at an attractive price been for sale for so long?

Car number two is a '66 Mustang.

There are some exterior issues, but nothing serious. The fiberglas hood scoope is very poorly done.

But that should be an easy fix.
Some odd repairs have been made on both doors.

Should not be that dificult to fix.
The interior looks good, although the dashboard is not working.
A lot of new mechanical parts make up for the exterior flaws.
2010 Ford racing 302 engine(345 hp)
2014 Ford racing transmission
discbreaks in all 4 conors
The front bridge have been modified. It now has dual wishbones.
Steering has been exchanged with rack and pinion.
10" rearend with lock up.
Had a spin in it on saturday. It is fast and it steers like a modern car. The rear end is a bit to hard I think. Most likely due to the hijackers. There is no break booster, so you really need to put your foot down hard.
Some pros and cons with this one, although so far the pros outweigh the cons.
I have a friend who has a lot of experience with classic US cars. I have made arrangements for us to see the Mustang again coming saturday.
To be continued.
KoSprueOne
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Myanmar
KitMaker: 4,011 posts
Auto Modeler: 851 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 29, 2017 - 05:31 AM UTC
How did I miss this?

What was your final choice?

Hwa-Rang
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Thursday, March 30, 2017 - 10:50 AM UTC
Well I bought the Mustang in october last year

Here's an image, from when I had just bought it.

An image from the last ride of the season, late october.

And an image of my kids, in front of the car, at our first drive of the season on sunday.

Only had a few rides in the car, from when I bought it, until it had to go to winterstorage. I'm really looking forward to a full season.
KoSprueOne
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Myanmar
KitMaker: 4,011 posts
Auto Modeler: 851 posts
Posted: Friday, March 31, 2017 - 04:37 AM UTC
Choice ride, man. And I wouldn't allow bright red popsicles in that ride either.

jimb
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,539 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,405 posts
Posted: Friday, March 31, 2017 - 06:38 AM UTC
Good choice on the Mustang. They can't be very common in Denmark.

Jim
Hwa-Rang
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Sunday, April 02, 2017 - 02:10 PM UTC
Definitely NO popsicels inside the car

Classic American cars are not that common in Europe. However the US enthusiast community is there and growing. The classic US car community is larger in scandinavia, that the rest of Europe, with Sweden as the classic US car capitol. Every two years there's a US car meeting, not far from where I live. Last year there was +2500 vehicles. It was awesome
jimb
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,539 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,405 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 02, 2017 - 07:06 PM UTC
Thanks for the info, Jesper. I was in Sweden back in the summer of 1988, and I remember thinking that there were a lot of classic American muscle cars driving around. I figured that the cost of fuel alone would be prohibitive to owning a 1968 Dodge Charger or the like.

Jim
 _GOTOTOP