Scale truck modeling topics.
Truck 'Loading Bay' Diorama WIP
ti
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Dalarnas, Sweden
KitMaker: 2,264 posts
Auto Modeler: 210 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 18, 2016 - 12:50 PM UTC
Well fellows, it has certainly been a while since I posted my last truck build, especially longer if we mention a 1/24 scale diorama for that matter. Here is where I am with my latest project, representing a Truck 'on/off' loading bay. Now, let me apologies for not posting pics from the very beginning stages of this build. Unfortunately I lost pics from that time period. I was doing a transfer from my phone to the computer and erasing the originals at the same time. So, these are the ones that I have available for you all to see. But, I still have a bit to go before this is finish. So hopefully, I will be able to take some photos of the process from here on out. Hope you enjoy the photos.

I wanted something different to work on and I thought this theme would provide some interest. It will incorporate a trailer, docked, and an open cargo bay next to the one you see in the diorama already. I will also add a forklift and some workers inside one of the bays. I am, trying to keep things simple, yet interesting for the eye to gaze upon. so we will see, if I can achieve the look I am going for. As always, things might change along the way or not, but regardless of how it turns out, I will try and make it an interesting diorama.

The base for the diorama is made out of foam board or poster board and placed on a picture frame.

The Bay parts were made scratch built from plastic styrene and rubber materials, cut to fit. The signs were made from photos of the real thing scale down in Photoshop. The big opening which is painted a dark brown will remain as is. I decided it will not be seen, so there would be no point in detailing something that on one will see. As the reefer trailer is going to be docked right up to it, it will block out whatever view there is.

The truck restraint mechanism was also built from small part as well as scratch built parts.
I added parallel guides for the truck on both sides of the bay door. They are made from thick and harden electrical wiring material. I picked this out of a container
which had been discarded. I thought, it would come in handy one day.

Hope you all like the pics.

The forklift is a plastic toy model I bought at a local super market. I was lucky, because the scale was 1/24. So I already started to take it apart and removing the internal mechanism to do some minor

detailing and a repaint:

------------------------------

The truck restraint mechanism was also built from small part as well as scratch built parts:

This pic shows the almost finished facade of the adjacent building. that will be place on the long side of the diorama.

-----------------------------

The formboard before and after. I am removing the first layer as this has the material I am using is sandwiched between two cardboard paper. Removing the layer is very easy. I just take a sharp hobby knife and carefully peel off the paper.

This is what it looks like after I remove the paper backing:

ti
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Dalarnas, Sweden
Posted: Sunday, December 18, 2016 - 12:53 PM UTC
The steel beams. I painted them blue.

The back of the second wall backing was done using the same method as the front. I used only half of the wall. I did not want to use the entire length. So I did it this way.

--------------------------------

This is how the wall looks now, when it is setup. I think it is starting to look like something.

These will be the corner protective pillars that will be used at the entrance of the second entrance of the industry building:

I decided to make air vents out of these. Yes. I tend to use whatever I have on hand, as to not spent too much money.

----------------------------

These, I will use to scratch built some flood lights:

I finally got the components together that will give me a reasonable spotlight design. I was planning of purchasing but decided that I could not wait and went ahead and scratch built my own. I think they will look 'ok', when painted.

I decided to scratch built my own security camera. Here are the parts and what I used to put my own together:

The components all laid out- I made the glass out of plastic. I had to mount the see-through plastic piece separately. Then cut a second piece to provide a protective cover for the lens. Then a third inner body piece as the internal housing:

The components mounted together: I think the effort was worth it:

ti
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Dalarnas, Sweden
Posted: Sunday, December 18, 2016 - 12:55 PM UTC
I used resin nuts and bolts. Glad I had bought many of these sometime ago. I knew they would have come in handy:

---------------------------------

I made a drainage in the ground in front of the second docking platform:

I built the U-beam from an old piece of plastic I found. I painted it blue and added a piece of poster-board painted a concrete color.

This is what I used to paint the building. It was custom mixed by my local paint store. It is a concrete color.

The dock platform:

ti
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Dalarnas, Sweden
Posted: Sunday, December 18, 2016 - 12:59 PM UTC
More progress of the second truck docking bay.Added a black wash over the entire concrete platform. Then added a second brown wash accentiante the concrete. The results looked pretty good to me. Then I added

the details to the bay itself:

Details added:

--------------------------

The lights painted and mounted together with the camera. I am pretty please how they both turned out:

---------------------------

ti
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Dalarnas, Sweden
Posted: Sunday, December 18, 2016 - 01:02 PM UTC
Added some interior machinery stuff inside the second dock. 

---------------------

Painted a yellow guide line in front of the second dock:

Added the Caution pillar:

----------------------------

I took some out door photos(not really good ones, as it was still early in the morning), but the results were enough to let me know it looks good in the outdoors.

ti
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Dalarnas, Sweden
Posted: Sunday, December 18, 2016 - 01:04 PM UTC
I Made the docking bay door out some pieces of styrene.

The final bay door in place:

I then painted some thin white styrene stripes blue, for the trimming at the top edge of the building.

The bay door 'open & close' mechanism. I used a small piece I found in my 'box of tricks' and sliced up thin round styrene rod for the buttons.

The finished mechanism.

--------------------

I apologies for the bad pics. But when the diorama is completed, I will take better ones. These are just WIP as you can see:

The bay door 'open & close' mechanism painted and ready to mount on the inside wall:

I scratch built a drainage pipe that will be mount between both, the brick and concrete bay walls:

I have added side roof strips to all sides of the front facing building and painted them blue:

I scratch built a canopy for the second docking bay. I thought it was necessary and adds interest to the rest of the scene.

I used cardboard corrugated roofing which made the job easy and simple. This was later glued onto the styrene piece that was the canopy.

I used my trusty nuts and bolts for the areas that were going to be mounted to the wall. As you can also see, I made some bracing as well.:

The canopy mounted in place. I think it looks ok.

I decided to redo the concrete tarmac. I knew the ground did not look right, and this I was told should be perpendicular to the building and not at an angle as it is now. So I am trying to see if I can rectify my mistake by hiding those grooves. We'll see if it works.

ti
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Dalarnas, Sweden
Posted: Sunday, December 18, 2016 - 01:05 PM UTC
The Bay door mechanism device is now mounted.

----------------------

I got the drain pipe in place. Yes. It is a little tight fit but it works. I have seen such fittings in very tight places. So I am not outside the norm.

Starting to add the little details both inside and outside. the concrete bay. Addind signs and graffiti around the bay. Also starting to add small scrape here and there.

I added the Bay Dock numbers on both docks.

I have now corrected the concrete ground, so it is perpendicular to the buildings. Took some spackling but I got it there.

ti
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Dalarnas, Sweden
Posted: Sunday, December 18, 2016 - 01:07 PM UTC
I decided to redo the wheel guides. I thought they were too small in diameter. So I decided I had to scratch built them from Styrene. There are several design types but the one in the picture I posted below, is the common one.

My version:

This is the design I am basing my version on:

The most difficult in building this guide was getting the angle right. I had to cut three rod sections at an angle to get the curved 90 degree angle that you get in some of these guides. The one in the first prototype picture fortunately has a smooth one flow curve section all the way through. But I am modeling after the above, which has angle sections instead of the smooth curved version in the picture.

-------------------

The finished model. I think it looks better than the one I had earlier:

Still continue to add details. Added a fire extinguisher to the docking bay:

ti
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Dalarnas, Sweden
Posted: Sunday, December 18, 2016 - 01:08 PM UTC
Forklift WIP:

Did some detail work on the forklift to give it some character. This is a Dinky toy model I bought at
my local grocery store. The price was 'ok' and on top of it, it is 1/24 scale. To my surprise this model
is pretty close to the real thing in accuracy. So I did not have to do too much extra work to get it to
look descent. I added the hydraulics, strobe, extra lighting and cabling bind to the framework of the
forklift.

Made a lock for one of the opening, which I'not too sure what it is used for; but according to my
prototype pic, it has a gas-tank lock on the right side of the chassis. So I made it to look like the one in
my pic.

ti
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Dalarnas, Sweden
Posted: Sunday, December 18, 2016 - 01:10 PM UTC
Since this forklift was missing peddles, I scratch built a pair:

An over view of the forklift ready to paint:

----------------------------------------

I decided I will be making a sign for this building. I saw this children's alphabet with magnets on the
back to be placed on a refrigerator. I chose the letters I wanted and removed the magnets from the
back.

-----------------------------------------

Letters painted, weathered and mounted. I am still contemplating if I should have done it any other way:

ti
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Dalarnas, Sweden
Posted: Sunday, December 18, 2016 - 01:12 PM UTC
The forklift painted and weathered. Looks much better than in its original state. I see I forgot to add the logo before weathering(Darn it!!!) See if I can still add it.

------------------------

I used some kind of grease( don't know what kind) Otherwise, I usually use machine grease, mixed with black paint. Then I just apply it on the areas that has it on the real model. Like on the rack below:

I have already started on the trailer, just for your information.

MasterBlaster
_VISITCOMMUNITY
West Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 3 posts
Auto Modeler: 2 posts
Posted: Monday, December 19, 2016 - 12:44 AM UTC
Wow! Awesome work.

AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,953 posts
Posted: Monday, December 19, 2016 - 02:13 AM UTC
Great job Charles, your scratchbuilding and weathering skills are first rate!

I love what you have done with the toy forklift.

Cheers, D
BigfootV
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 1,624 posts
Auto Modeler: 216 posts
Posted: Monday, December 19, 2016 - 03:28 AM UTC
Hello Charles,

Good looking loading dock. If I may point out something that may need to be fixed. I've seen a lot of docks in my day.
First, put hand rails on dock 12 where the steps are, they need to be up on the dock itself. Left hand rail can run up the wall. Right hand needs to be like a swimming pool hand rail.
Keep the guard for the tire yellow, most warehouses don't use them because they cause flat tires if hit wrong. The trailer bumper grab, or the hook, is just that, a hook.

http://www.pentalift.com/us/loading-docks/images/vehicle-restraints/RVR32x575.png

The more complex systems are like this......

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/rqjDSS1o4_U/hqdefault.jpg

Cold storage docks have these on the outside.......

http://www.rstricounty.com/wp-content/uploads/Dock-Doors-with-Seals-and-Locks.jpg

It looked like your have a metal flange. The opening need to be tight around the outside back of the trailer, basically warped around the back.

Also you need this.............

http://www.thegreenbook.com/advertiserfiles/productshowcasepictures/main/a/a999610539/cold_room_pvc_strip_curtain_alfa_packaging2013_11_26_15_49.jpg

This is a cold room curtain.
That would be for dock 12's door since it is open to the outside.

HTH

Sorry if I've played Capt. Obvious here.

See ya in the funnies...........

Trisaw
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 4,105 posts
Auto Modeler: 41 posts
Posted: Monday, December 19, 2016 - 05:15 AM UTC
Great job, Charles! Wow! The weathering looks absolutely superb! It's amazing how you made a cheap forklift look like a real replica in miniature.
tinbanger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,507 posts
Auto Modeler: 409 posts
Posted: Monday, December 19, 2016 - 05:27 AM UTC

"Good looking loading dock.
The trailer bumper grab, or the hook, is just that, a hook"

I've rebuilt dock locks and I would say that ones up here in the great white north are installed a little higher up.
KoSprueOne
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Myanmar
KitMaker: 4,011 posts
Auto Modeler: 851 posts
Posted: Monday, December 19, 2016 - 06:48 AM UTC
Spectacular work on this diorama.

JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
Auto Modeler: 50 posts
Posted: Monday, December 19, 2016 - 08:37 AM UTC
Charles,

Great looking diorama you have started. The flaking paint on the rubber bumpers look authentic, as does the door.

That forklift looks like it has seen a lot of grime!
Hwa-Rang
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 6,760 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,182 posts
Posted: Monday, December 19, 2016 - 11:44 AM UTC
Awesome work as always Charles.
ti
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Dalarnas, Sweden
Posted: Friday, December 23, 2016 - 05:31 PM UTC
Thanks guys. I am now working on the trailer.
Stickframe
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,661 posts
Auto Modeler: 431 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 24, 2016 - 12:42 PM UTC
Hi Charles,

Always a pleasure to see your work my friend. Looks like you have another great build going! Nice to see all of the clever scratch work - quite inspiring - looking forward to seeing the trailer.

Happy holidays and a 2017 to you and yours!

Cheers
Nick
ti
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Dalarnas, Sweden
Posted: Monday, January 02, 2017 - 01:30 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Charles,

Always a pleasure to see your work my friend. Looks like you have another great build going! Nice to see all of the clever scratch work - quite inspiring - looking forward to seeing the trailer.

Happy holidays and a 2017 to you and yours!

Cheers
Nick

Much appreciated Nick. Kind of you.
Removed by original poster on 08/29/17 - 14:28:03 (GMT).
deichevster
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bulgaria
KitMaker: 21 posts
Auto Modeler: 1 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 11, 2017 - 09:22 PM UTC
This is looking absolutely amazing, wish I had the same skill!
ti
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Dalarnas, Sweden
Posted: Friday, January 13, 2017 - 05:44 AM UTC
Appreciate your kind conment.
 _GOTOTOP