Scale truck modeling topics.
Revell '64 Fleetside (Out of Box) - Need Help
Mechworker
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 352 posts
Auto Modeler: 135 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 28, 2017 - 05:39 AM UTC
Every now and then, I get motivated to take a look at building a kit of a vehicle I might not normally consider building. In this case, it is a mid-‘60s pickup truck. This isn’t a subject I know much about, and it isn’t the usual thing most people would expect would turn my crank, so to speak. However, the kit itself is actually really nice and I wanted to try something different.

I found this Revell 1964 Fleetside at a local swap meet and couldn’t resist. It’s actually a really nice kit, but it’s giving me trouble trying to figure out some things. It’s almost impossible to find examples on the net that AREN’T customized somehow, so if anyone has any links or info they can share with me I’d appreciate it.

1.) Is the engine supposed to be Chevy blue? They say orange on the instructions, but I’m sure that’s wrong.

2.) I think I read that if you got two toning, you got the whitewalls and body-coloured wheels. Is that correct?

3.) There is a chrome group for these trucks, but I think it’s separate from the side trim. If you got chrome grille and bumpers, is it true you got the chrome hubcaps too? Could you get this without the side trim?

4.) The box shows that there’s some kind of paint/chrome around the grille. However, I can’t tell if it’s supposed to be chrome or white paint. Not all examples seem to have it. Any ideas?

Check out the kit at the link below, so you can see the exact model of truck I’m talking about. I want to build this one next, so I’m hoping you guys can help me out!

https://adamrehorn.wordpress.com/revell-125-1964-chevy-fleetside-pickup-out-of-box/

Scarred
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,792 posts
Auto Modeler: 52 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 28, 2017 - 06:43 AM UTC
They didn't use blue for the engines until the 70's I believe so orange is the correct color.

http://www.348-409.com/engine.html
forest1000
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 80 posts
Auto Modeler: 44 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 29, 2017 - 01:37 AM UTC
I have a fleetside kit also, but 1973. I looked under Google and found several that weren't customized. Here's one.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=1964+chevy+fleetside&rlz=1C1CHBD_enCA723CA723&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiSk9yr8-PUAhUp9YMKHev5Db4Q_AUICigB&biw=1600&bih=770#imgrc=TB-tJO4tT4ZBkM:
Mechworker
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 352 posts
Auto Modeler: 135 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 29, 2017 - 05:55 AM UTC
I've been digging too, and it seems orange is NOT right.

From one of the big Chevy truck boards, it appears that blue-grey, grey or green-grey were standard for truck engines. Replacements (under warranty) or crate motors were orange, but many have said their originals didn't have orange.

I still don't know why Revell gave it such nice whitewall tires when you can't realistically use them; they were not offered, it seems, past the very early '60s.

Scarred
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,792 posts
Auto Modeler: 52 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 29, 2017 - 08:11 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I've been digging too, and it seems orange is NOT right.

From one of the big Chevy truck boards, it appears that blue-grey, grey or green-grey were standard for truck engines. Replacements (under warranty) or crate motors were orange, but many have said their originals didn't have orange.

I still don't know why Revell gave it such nice whitewall tires when you can't realistically use them; they were not offered, it seems, past the very early '60s.

Depends on the engine and the year. In 64 the 230, 283, 327 and some of the 348's were orange. However there may have been engines carried over from earlier years that may have been other than orange. The big 409s which everyone wants in their rebuilds were grey. Since this is a factory 64 with a 283 the right color is orange. Factory crates and warranty replacements were stock engines not aftermarket so they were painted factory colors. Unless the owner of the truck is the same guy who originally bought it new off the lot many people repaint their engines when they pull them to rebuild them. Blue was a big favorite. Check factory sites not enthusiasts sites you'll get more accurate info. If you look at the dealer brochure you can see that in 64 whitewalls were offered. I saw them on trucks all the time when I was a kid. It was the 60's after all.

https://www.autopaper.com/original-1964-chevrolet-truck-dealers-brochure-conventional-pickup-c10-c20-c30.php
 _GOTOTOP