_GOTOBOTTOM
The Garage
For general automotive modeling or non-modeling topics.
Paul Fisher/Fisher Model & Pattern Destroyed
Kevlar06
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 3,670 posts
Auto Modeler: 46 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 15, 2018 - 12:23 PM UTC
For those of you not aware, the entire town of Paradise California was wiped out last week in one of the worst wildfires in US History. As of today, 63 people have lost their lives, with over 600 still missing. Many thousands have lost thier homes and countless businesses have been affected, including Fisher Model and Pattern, one of finest manufacturers of 1/32 scale resin aircraft, 1/32, 1/72, and 1/48 scale aftermarket kits, and 1/24 scale competition cars. Fisher Model & Patern was located in Paradise CA and Paul lost his home and his company simultaneously in this devastating disaster. A Go Fund Me page has been set up to help Paul and his family. Here is the link:
https://www.gofundme.com/paul-fisher-fire-relief?fbclid=IwAR0qiJpcr9I_O7qEVqRfIn3WyRW0Zipq8Ik3yLWVWWDBBjOviDGRwbeRk4I

For any of you not familiar with Fisher Model, here's a link to the web page, but as far as I'm aware, they were completely wiped out, so I'm not sure if they are able to sell any items:

http://www.fishermodels.com/store

VR, Russ
wildbill426
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 403 posts
Auto Modeler: 25 posts
Posted: Friday, November 16, 2018 - 04:26 AM UTC
very sorry to hear this. I am grateful Mr. Fisher and family at least survived the fire; with so many missing that alone is a miracle.
Kevlar06
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, November 16, 2018 - 05:42 AM UTC
Yep, I need to revise this, as now more than 63 folks have lost their lives, with over 600 missing. It's being labeled as the worst natural disaster in modern US history (not sure if that's totally correct). It is nevertheless a devastating occurrence.
VR, Russ
Tank1812
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,112 posts
Posted: Friday, November 16, 2018 - 06:51 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Yep, I need to revise this, as now more than 63 folks have lost their lives, with over 600 missing. It's being labeled as the worst natural disaster in modern US history (not sure if that's totally correct). It is nevertheless a devastating occurrence.
VR, Russ

Not to really debate the issue since Paul Fisher lost everything (that does suck for him and our industry, never owned a kit but seen the resin up close and they are beauties) and more people lost a lot more but Hurricane Maria, Hurricane Katrina and the heat wave of 1995 and 1980 have taken more folks even if you add in the missing.

People (not you) have short memories, there have been other bad natural disasters in the not do distant past. Sad part is unlike a lot of other natural disasters, forest fires can managed/mitigated.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_disasters_in_the_United_States_by_death_toll
Kevlar06
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, November 16, 2018 - 10:46 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

VR, Russ

Not to really debate the issue since Paul Fisher lost everything (that does suck for him and our industry, never owned a kit but seen the resin up close and they are beauties) and more people lost a lot more but Hurricane Maria, Hurricane Katrina and the heat wave of 1995 and 1980 have taken more folks even if you add in the missing.

People (not you) have short memories, there have been other bad natural disasters in the not do distant past. Sad part is unlike a lot of other natural disasters, forest fires can managed/mitigated.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_disasters_in_the_United_States_by_death_toll

Your statement is true, However, I would simply say the folks in the paths of hurricanes and storms usually have ample warning since they are semi-predictable, sometimes up to a week in advance, and usually something can be salvaged afterwards in some cases. In this case, the town of Paradise CA had only a couple of hours of warning at best. Some folks had only minutes, and many were trapped on the roads trying to exit the area. The Santa Anna winds were blowing in excess of 50 miles an hour, with multiple "Firenados" spinning up to 80 miles an hour or more. The only comparison to that would have been the bombing of Dresden during WWII. Imagine hurricane force winds, laden with fire, with nothing surviving in its path. I'd take my chances in a hurricane, at least the oxygen wouldn't be sucked out of the air. In fairness, a hurricane has a wider path of devastation, but these wildfires tend to spare nothing in their path. Literally everything goes up in smoke.
VR, Russ
Removed by original poster on 11/17/18 - 04:19:58 (GMT).
Tank1812
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,112 posts
Posted: Friday, November 16, 2018 - 11:53 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

VR, Russ

Your statement is true, However, I would simply say the folks in the paths of hurricanes and storms usually have ample warning since they are semi-predictable, sometimes up to a week in advance, and usually something can be salvaged afterwards in some cases. In this case, the town of Paradise CA had only a couple of hours of warning at best. Some folks had only minutes, and many were trapped on the roads trying to exit the area. The Santa Anna winds were blowing in excess of 50 miles an hour, with multiple "Firenados" spinning up to 80 miles an hour or more. The only comparison to that would have been the bombing of Dresden during WWII. Imagine hurricane force winds, laden with fire, with nothing surviving in its path. I'd take my chances in a hurricane, at least the oxygen wouldn't be sucked out of the air. In fairness, a hurricane has a wider path of devastation, but these wildfires tend to spare nothing in their path. Literally everything goes up in smoke.
VR, Russ

I am very fimilar with wildfires, survived one myself up close in CA. A number of the wildlife is designed to germinate via fires. Proper management of the resources would help reduce the issues as we move more into the wildlife.
 _GOTOTOP